How record an amp when noise level matters?

wolf70

Anyone have any ideas of how to record (mic) an amp when you live in a situation where noise level could be a problem and sound proofing a room is not an option? Some examples would be when you live in an apartment (with just a wall separating you and your neighbors) or shared domicile? etc...

I don't want to record direct or with an amp/cab simulator, I just despise the fake sound of those things. I was thinking of maybe putting the amp in a wood box and try to sound proof the box somewhat to reduce the sound level. Anyone try something like this and have any success? I can always add effects/reverb later if it comes out sounding, for lack of a better word.....somewhat boxy sounding.

Thanks for any helpful replies.

I was gonna suggest an amp simulator until I read on a little more....I can record as loud as I like and I still use a Vamp when Im recording metal tunes or anything that calls for a ton of distortion....

Yeah, I'll probably have to go with an amp simulator, till I can find a better place to do some recording even though I haven't heard one yet that I like as much as micing an amp.

If someone who has had some experience micing amps (and knows the difference between the simulators and the real deal) knows of a real good quality sounding amp simulator could you mention it?

Thanks.

Jamz0r said:
If your amp has a line out you could use an ADA MicroCab. (or MicroCab II)

They can be had pretty cheap on Ebay...as the company died in a fire. :(

You can read about them here:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Events/WNAMM97/ADA/Microcab-II.html

I have one in my studio rack and get very nice mic'ed sound from it.

They had another product, the Ampulator, which was a power soak and cab sim (IIRC). Supposedly awesome, the eBay price has exploded on them though. One of the guys at adadepot.com is modding Microcabs as power soaks, calls it "Monstercab." Again, IIRC.

I read an interview one time with Joe Perry talking about a flight case cover for a cab that they retro-fitted with mics on the inside....plop the cover over the cab, and voila....and I believe they stole that from Jimmy Page.

Due to your situation, your going have to compromise somewhere and each compromise will have their own downside. You just need to decide which compromise you can live with. Several suggestions come to mind:

1. If you have an amp with more than 1 speaker and, if we're talking tubes greater than around 15 watts which requires cranking to get a good sound buy a small wattage tube or solid state amp, the smallest you can find however try not to compromise on sound.

2. If you have any interior closets which do not share a wall with a neighbor, put your amp in there. However, volume is still a concern with neighbors upstairs and downstairs.

3. Make a tent out of several large packing blankets. This will have a dampening effect, although somewhat minimal.

4. Buy a sim (I like Tech 21/SansAmp stuff). The compromise is obvious

5 Buy/build an iso box. Nice for close miced "dead room" sounds, however almost no other distant/stereo micing options.

I'd say the best way to go is to build an isolation box, as some have suggested above. It won't eliminate anywhere near all the sound, but it will help a lot. I built one using panels of plywood with some felt carpet padding inbetween for sound absorption. I'd say 4 or 5 layers of that with two plywood panels would do the trick. You just need to decide before construction how big each panels needs to be so they can be positioned on all sides of the amp, including the top... you don't even have to physically attach the sides, and this makes them more portable and versatile.
Another thing to consider is getting an extension speaker, depending on your amp configuartion. I have a 4x10 60 watt tube combo from Fender that you can record at moderate (at best) volumes. I use the isolation box and it works great. However, you don't need to be driving that many speakers... if you have a half stack, you can easily record a single 12" speaker being driven by the same head. On my amp, you can just unplug the 1/4" jack that connects the "head" to the speakers, and run the output to a smaller cab. This will reduce overall volume, and since you end up mic'ing one speaker anyway (in close-mic'ing situations), the sound may very well come out the same. Just a couple suggestions to think about!

wolf70 said:
Yeah, I'll probably have to go with an amp simulator, till I can find a better place to do some recording even though I haven't heard one yet that I like as much as micing an amp.

If someone who has had some experience micing amps (and knows the difference between the simulators and the real deal) knows of a real good quality sounding amp simulator could you mention it?

Thanks.

Line 6 Pod

If you don't want a modeler, you could get one of those cute little isolation boxes....the Axetrack or whatever they're called.

Actually, I've heard they sound good. I haven't heard one myself though.

wolf70 said:
I was thinking of maybe putting the amp in a wood box and try to sound proof the box somewhat to reduce the sound level.

Isolation boxes are a good solution. Make sure you have some cooling if the actual amp is in the box. Insulate the box with fiberglass 703 or equivalent and build the box dimensions to a ratio of 1.7:1 (Golden Ratio) with no parallel sides to avoid a boxy sound. The bigger the better.

If you have to go direct the Demonizer is about the best cheap unit I've heard. It's not a modeller it's a tube preamp. The best direct unit I've heard is the Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I think I'm going to stick the amp in a closet though for now, that way I'll get cheap iso box. ;) Maybe I can better sound proof it too, that's what I'm going to be working on for now. :D

Back