How not to kill myself

mbuster

My throat actually. I didn't know where else to post this so here it is. I have a startling lack of vocal technique. The style I (attempt to) sing in leaves me in a good deal of discomfort after only a few takes. It's not that I'm screaming either, but it is a fairly aggressive style I guess. I'm definitely trying to actually sing though. Anyway, I know there's got to be a better way. I wanted to take some lessons, but there's nobody here giving them. I've seen a couple ads promising miraculous results, but I don't buy into much of that stuff. I guess what I'm looking for is a point towards some reading or anything that can teach me what I'm doing wrong. I also want to improve my range. I practice, don't get me wrong, but I keep getting the feeling all this practice is just ingraining already poor habits, as well as causing me physical harm. Any ideas?

Believe it or not the Event Electronics Forum is a vocal forum. You can try posting this there as well.

Please note that double posting is frowned upon, but since you didn't know that the vocal forum had a different name, post there and put a link back to here so no one gets mad :D

some info

Here's a few tidbits to chew on.

I have a college degree in voice...I say that not to be a jerk off or because I think I'm cool, but just so you know there is at least some credibility in what I'm saying.

If you seem to be getting tired quickly when you sing, that's annoying, but ok. The voice is a very small muscle in your throat, and just like any other muscle in your body it gets tired and needs rest. It also gets stronger the more it gets used and fatigued, again like any other muscle. So the best thing you can do, is keep singing. Work the muscle so it stretches and gets stronger. It may take some time, but you'll find your strength, range and stamina will improve with time.

NOW... that being said. If you're experiencing pain, that's a whole other story. Your voice should never hurt. I mean...it will (that's inevitable sometimes) but if you want to sustain a long career as a vocalist, pain is not good.

Of course (here's another caviot) if you're going for a real raw or screaming, or death metal sound, you're probably not too worried about the quality of your sound as much as the emotional product you push through the microphone. If that's the case, go for it. Do whatever you want.

But because you posted, I'm assuming that's not you.

The reason I say pain is bad is because if you're having pain, it's likely your voice is not functioning like it should. There's probably swelling or even worse going on in there. You should stop singing, and if possible, talking as much as you can.

The consequences: over time if you continue to experince pain when you sing, you could deveop callouses on your vocal chords. This is bad. It can make your singing and speaking voice raspy and parts of your range disappear altogether. AND it's VERY difficult to fix. You basically have to fully rest your voice for weeks and hope it works.

And it gets worse...if it gets too bad, there is a real possibility that you can blister your vocal chords. If this happens, the blister will heal into scar tissue and you're permanently jacked up. You can have surgery to rapair it, but even the surgery leaves some scar tissue and you'll never be the same.

So, in short: if your tired: fine - you're getting a good workout. If it hurts: stop now, or you could be in trouble.

As far as books or stuff to help you with technique, I'm really not familiar with any. That's not to say they don't exist, I just don't know about them.

The best advice I have is keep working, try to relax when you sing and if possible, get a vocal coach. A good one. One that won't cram opera or classical voice down your throat, but that cares about the biology of your voice.

That's my dissertation. I hope something helped.

chris

Actually that helps quite a bit. I guess I should have clarified better. It's more fatigue than anything I guess. I was just worried I might be damaging myself while trying to improve. I had no luck finding a credible vocal coach in my area. Are there any particular exercises that would be helpfull in strengthening my voice? I like to sing and want to be better. It seems like I'm limited to about three takes of usefull singing between "warmed up" and "shot to hell".

You need to learn proper breathing technique, and how to use your breath to support / take a load off your vocal chords.

It takes some people as much as 5-10 years of intense practice and training to learn how to breath the right way. Some people pick it right up. I'm not one of them, hence I have resolved myself to bassist / background vocals. Plus the engineering thing I have going on. :D

I definitely support the view that practice improves and strengthens the voice. I have been gigging now regularly for three years and I know for sure that my voice is stronger than it was back then. I can attempt to sing songs I would have passed on three years ago and my range has grown slightly too and more powerful. I guess confidence also has a lot to do with it, knowing that I sing some well known songs and I don't get laughed off stage makes me think I'm doing something right.

What I would suggest is to look at the songs you are trying to sing at this stage of your developemnt. Maybe they are quite difficult? Try picking some 'easy' songs to start with ( covers traditional songs. pop songs, whatever you enjoy) and try to get polished with those for a few months, then start to move up to more difficult material that requires more power and effort. It's like not starting running by entering a marathon straight off, but run a mile first then when you can do that easily run for 5 miles, and so on.

Go to the public library, if they have one in your town, there'll be some books on singing most likely.

Like the man said, yes your voice will get tired after a while, then it's time to rest it and not to strain any further. In time you should be able to sing for an evening's band rehearsal session (not just 3 songs!)

If you can hold a tune then you can sing, the rest is technique.

Thanks for the insight. The songs I'm trying to sing are in fact my own, so they're all kind of geared towards my abilities. After reading these posts, I took a look back, and realized that I too have made progress since I first started trying to sing.
You know, in this internet age, I never even thought of the public library (and my mother is a librarian). I bet she'd love to get an unexpected phone call from her son, even if it is to hit her up for some books. As a matter of fact, if anyone knows of a particularly helpful book, I could even have her order it for the library, thus helping better my entire community. :D
Thanks.

"Set Your Voice Free" by Roger Love seems to be a favorite book for learning proper technique......

I think chessrock should be noted on air support.

Its one of the most important things with playing trombone. You start to learn that air should be the main source of the tone, pitch, and control more than the lips.

I just started singing myself a year ago. And even though im not a great singer yet i find myself better then most 1 year singers because ive found the same physics involved with playing my trombone apply to singing.

Especially with pitch. Going higher shouldnt strain your voice muscles. Instead of pinching, try to use faster air speed and and more air.

Anyway, i dunno how credible i am for this but i really believe it is quite similiar.

Danny

Back