How much worth of broken equipments you have in your studio?

Leeking

My control surface is broken again after just being fixed for a few month! This is really upseting... although the thing cost US$200 from ebay... but it is $1000 of my hard earned money here!! :(

I guess when you have more and more equipment, things like this tends to happen....

come on guys, make me feel better... anyone in the same boat?
any suggestions?

My spare DA-88 needs to be serviced, but the servicing is $800 and the machine is worth $250 in ebay. So there it sits. (I still have 4 more and I haven't stuck a tape in one in months.)

Everything is functional but I have 4 16 channel mixers, a full PA, 2 ADATs, a bunch of equipment racks and a box of old dynamic mics molding in my garage.

My Tascam 38 has been collecting dust for a couple of years now. It was working fine, then one day I threaded up a tape and hit play, and the reels started going faster and faster until I was hearing Alvin and the Chipmunks. I still want to get it fixed, but since I just got laid off that won't happen for awhile.

I forgot, I do have a couple of Tascam 238s, of which only one is still functional.
HighLonesome, I'm a gear slut. I don't sell, only buy. :D

One of my blackface ADAT's finally bit the dust. Sony DAT machine died but I haven't really used DAT for so long it doesn't matter.

I'm trting to save up for a ADAT HD 24, but my wife keeps buying clothes and new shoes. :(

Let me see here..

Not long ago I tripped over a cable and knocked some guitarists '72 Plexi off the 4x12 breaking several tubes and cracking the board.

Nobody was there to witness this happen so here is what I did..

The guy that runs the studio has a big fat cat. I found a scissors and cut an unnoticable amount of longlength kitty cat hair off of him. Then see, what I did was I unplugged the cable from the 4x12 then unscrewed the tip just enough to stuff dat kitty cat hair innit.. then screwed it tighta again and threw it on the floor next to the head which was toppled upside-down.

MUahaha hahahaha I say!! MUaha! ha ha ha!

Hey, wanna see something interesting?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38075&item=3748014431&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

!!!!!!

Track Rat, I'm SO with you on that! I'm a gear-you-know-what, and I only buy on Ebay, never sell. However, the only gear I have that's broken, is the gear I bought as fixers off Ebay, with the intention of refurbishing it, as yet TBD.

All the other gear I have as "normal" working gear is still in proper working order, to the best of my knowledge. At a certain point, I gave up on the "home-fix" idea, and I've run no less than 3 of these "fixer" units down to TEAC/Tascam repair, to be fixed,... which was a costly but worthwhile move, on my part.

Mad Audio, from your description, check that the capstan is turning and that the pinchwheel contacts the capstan fully. The reel motors will run the tape at an unregulated speed, and it's up to the capstan/pinchwheel to provide that regulated tape speed. In my estimation, based on your description, it seems that maybe the pinchwheel is NOT contacting the capstan fully, which would be a STICKY SOLENOID problem, where a flat rubber washer in the solenoid assembly has gotten sticky, and needs to be removed.

Just M/O.

Reel, thanks for your input. I'll check that when I get home. If what your saying is right, sounds like a cheap problem to fix.

AdrianFly said:
Nobody was there to witness this happen so here is what I did.. Blamed it on the cat...

Dude, that's just wrong. If someone layed my '65 Bassman to rest, i'd much rather have them be a man about it and tell me, then whip up a cheesy, 'the cat did it' excuse.

Last summer, as I was taking all my gear out of the racks and putting it into the attic, I made sure I turned every item on one at a time, to verify full functionality. I kept items that had dead "backup" batteries, as those are very easy to replace, but items that just didn't work anymore I sold on e-bay "as is, where is" and made the prices cheap (starting bid usually a dollar, or maybe five tops) just to unload it and not throw it out. And yes, I stated "probably dead" in the auction :)

Anyway, I got rid of at least 30U of gear, which is good, as my new studio will have the same amount of rack space as the old one, just arranged differently. So, that leaves me 30U of more gear I can buy someday.

But not now, I'm still stocking up on air tools :)

Back