how much should i charge?

I got to 1:10 and turned it off in horror at your typical misogynistic rap lyrics...

Subtle. Not.

Where did you get the music you're rapping to from?

Don't listen to these h8rs, it's better than Chuggo :cool: You need Youtubes though, myspace is like 2005.

like them girls is really distorted though, need to fix that clipping before somebody starts pumping those 808s and melts their tweeters :o

haha Jim, i can give you a break down of that quote if you really want!

james face - im gonna give you 2 answers that you can actually use (although there have been some good responses here that you should really take not of!)

1 - what similar people to you do - i know various home recorders or "producers" as they so wrongly call themselves. they record predominantly raps and some singing. they have decent equipment (for a home setup purely for hobbie use) and have a well built booth (no wardrobe booth!). for a whole hip hop track, comprising of recording and mixing vocals, mixing entire beat (not creating the beat though), mixing song as a whole and no mastering they charge - wait for it - $50 Australian. No hourly rates, no exorbitant prices, just a 50. As we all know, hours go into this process. Now, the final product is damn quality, seriously, but they know it aint perfect and they know no one will pay much more coz they're just self taught home producers.

2 - what you should do. Follow the advice given by other people here and DON'T CHARGE! I havent heard the tune you posted, but based on your posts and responses to that tune, it doesn't sound like you should be charging at all. Get some experience by recording your mates and yourself then THINK about charging (AFTER upgrading frmo recording into a wardrobe - come on dude!)

so just to give you an answer, roll with my option 2 and then when you have some skills and any idea, try option 1 - MAYBE...

yup James, you are not ready to be charging anyone anything yet and if you do and produce the less than sterling results, as your clip sounds, you'll only ruin any chance of doing this more seriously..

you need to read up more and you need to get yourself a decent space...build up a cleintele even if it means doing free stuff...i bet word of mouth will still be the way to market yourself in this genre

dont be down hearted that no ones said $100 per hour but rather rise to the challenge and learn how to do this properly, apart from earning money you'll find it damn rewarding

good luck

Hi James,

Now I'm a rank novice and basically know nothing about home recording, but friends of mine who are successful freelance musicians once gave me advice that stuck with me:

"Until you're established, take every gig you get, even if it's playing at the McDonald's for $20."

Note that this came from classically trained musicians with degrees from the Eastman School of Music.

Take every gig you get, work hard, pay close attention to perfecting your craft, and soon you will benefit from word of mouth as you develop a good reputation. As many have said, this will most likely involve working for whatever you're offered at first.

The raps sound like a good start. Best of luck! :)

The price of an education...

hows this for a newbee recording songs have not been mastered harldly mixed

www.myspace.com/crybabyrap

just messing around

Well, not casting any judgement on the songs themselves (is it you or friends that you've recorded ?), I'd have to be honest and say that from a purely sonic point of view, taking into account that you say you're just messing around, that it's hardly mixed and not mastered (which in itself doesn't mean much at this stage of the game), it sounds distorted and like that of someone that is just starting out and needs to learn their craft. It kind of reminds me of many of my portastudio recordings (though I like a little analog distortion). I thought they were OK once. I wouldn't mix any of them that way now......
Learn to crawl before you walk and walk before you run. Some people that are desperate may well pay you at the moment but if they carry on with their music and realize what their music should sound like, they may one day come looking for you.....

Don't listen to these h8rs, it's better than Chuggo :cool: You need Youtubes though, myspace is like 2005.

like them girls is really distorted though, need to fix that clipping before somebody starts pumping those 808s and melts their tweeters :o

Aww man, I just looked up Chuggo...what a character! :laughings:

Aww man, I just looked up Chuggo...what a character! :laughings:

:laughings:Yes indeed!:laughings:

www.myspace.com/crybabyrap Yes. James,.... now if that is a Nuemman (model TBA-I wish you would look at the microphone and tell us all what the heck it is!.!) It does not lie. You haven't th......I can't write that.
You just need to work at it some more.
Just remember *It takes about ten years to become an overnight success.*

:cool:

haha just looked him up myself, sexually abusing women on subway platforms..... classy :laughings:

but really, anything anyone in this thread has said about doing what you can for free,building a name for yourself is the only way to go, im currently booked through out the summer mixing music (all very unknown metal bands, and a few other genres, indie, electronic etc,

i havent got time to scratch my balls really, and there isnt one job im doing that im getting paid for, im doing anything for free and all i ask is a recommendation if the band is happy and knows someone who needs mixing work, i couldnt be happier really :D:D:D:D:D

It completely comes down to your ability. I would put that above any equipment you have, which you don't appear to have a real grasp on anyway. You sound inexperienced so I wouldn't charge much at first. Maybe give some real good breaks to get your feet wet. Then as you improve, you can charge more.

If your starting out, I would say the bare minimum without screwing yourself over. Get clients and repeat clients, as many as you can.

Back