How Much RAM

RonL

I have setup a new PC for Sonar. System is P4 2.4GHz and I have 512MB RAM. Would I need to have more RAM for Sonar?

Thanks.

RonL

I say that 512 MB is the absolute minimum... That's what I have, and I want 512 MB more! :)

I've only got 256 and haven't really had any problems, even with lots (12-15) of 24 bit tracks. Of course, I'm planning to add another 512 ASAP anyway. the mo RAM the mo bettah.

...what they said :) When I start using SONAR 2 XL, I use 256MB just absolutelly fine. 512MB makes it better... (soon to be) 1GB makes it even better. Memory is like sex, food and rock n' roll... once you had it, you'll want it more and more... :D

It's perfect for my mp3 mixing clinic posts, that title.... :D

I've been posting for less than a month there, and I'm already getting sick of the 'getting real drums' comment. ;)

Back to the topic: 512Mb is a minimum

I also have been getting by swimmingly with 256 MB, but most of my projects are not that complex -- usually two or three tracks of guitar, one of bass, maybe a few loops, and I typically submix my MIDI tracks to a stereo audio track before mixdown, rather than make independent audio tracks for each...

Yeah, I have 512 Mb, and works fine...
I wish i have some better sound card...
And Athlon 1.2Ghz...I have to upgrade? Works well for my pre-reharsal demos.. .-

I'm also running 512 MB of RAM. Mind you I want to upgrade to a couple of Gig, just for the heck of it... plus peace of mind ;-)

If you work it out, windows will take up about 220MB of RAM, Sonar will take up about another 10MB, which leaves 260MB or so for sound files, so recording at 44.1Khz, 16bit, that should give you approximately 260 Minutes of audio to record, and lets say a 24 track song, that would give you the ability to playback a 10 minutes song which would all be loaded into RAM.

If I'm wrong, please correct me... mind you I'm not allowing for the page file... so maybe 12 minutes ;-)

Porter

But it's not track-count that is affected by RAM. Effects, Virtual Instruments and Input Monitoring are examples. And the general performance will increase with more RAM.

The general rule for computer-parts apply here: The more, the better! ;)

But it's not track-count that is affected by RAM. Effects, Virtual Instruments and Input Monitoring are examples. And the general performance will increase with more RAM.

True... I was just referring to staright audio tracks, no effects... just playback... for effects... maybe a 5 minute song ;-) (now I'm just guessing)

Porter

I use 256mb, and it's good for me. My question is, how much is too much? I mean, how much can certain computers recognize? I have a PIII 600mhz. I have three RAM slots in there. Can I load those all up with 512mb sticks? I've been told that after a point, it's all masturbation. It's there physically, but the processor doesn't know it's there. Am I full of shit?

ed

Too Much RAM Is Never Enough

I read a post in Computer Recording & Soundcards BB regarding precisely this issue, particularly with respect to Win98.

It seems that too much RAM will cause an insufficient memory error message in Win98. :(

This is the workaround from a reply by Dr Stawl:

Windows 98 Annoyances Link

To warn Windows that you have more than 512MB of memory installed, add the following line to the [VCache] section of your win.ini file: MaxFileCache = 524288.

--
BluesMeister

Back