How much RAM is everybody using these days?

soss

8gb? 12gb? 16gb? At what point does it become overkill? Say I'm working on a mix in Cubase with 60 plugs enabled. Will there be any benefit of having more than 8gb RAM? My main concern is latency, so I'm not sure if having a huge amount of RAM will make any difference there.

If you are using 64-bit Cubase, 8GB should cover your needs. Are you experiencing problems? I have not needed to go to 64-bit yet, with huge projects. It really depends upon the processor you are using and how you have it setup.

No, no particular problems with 32 bit/3gb RAM (currently). I'm about to build a new computer with an i7. I plan to use Windows7 64 bit with C6 Artist 64 bit. I'm wondering if I'll see/hear any benefit at all with additional RAM. Maybe 4Gb will be enough? I'd also like to be future proofed for say the next five years.

I would love to get below 128 samples and have zero issues with overdubbing.

More ram will help with VSTi's or sample type libraries. I run Core2Duo (yup, 2 cores) with 4gig on Win7 64bit and never see a whisper of a problem. The only VSTi I use is ezdrummer. My projects are typically 10-12 recorded tracks and 8 tracks for ezd.

Having said that, I'm all for loading up with as much processing power and storage as you can afford.

With an i7, using it for nothing but recording, with appropriate drives for samples and audio, you should experience what I have. Nirvana. Never had a crash, hangup, or lack of speed.

I'm having a laugh about the ram conversations, my ram is bigger than your ram. I actually owned a computer once that had a 4mb hard drive and 1mb of ram, yes it's not a misprint, ran windows 3.1 on was used for word 2. It was also connected to a 9 pin dot matrix printer. This setup cost a fortune in todays money and was basically a typewriter.

Actually I still have an Atari 1040 in the studio that only has 1mb of ram and no hard drive, the operating software loads from a 720k floppy.

Alan

The first computer I worked with had a green screen and you had to put the phone in a docker to talk to the BIG computer somewhere else in the state.

DOS :D

My first computer was a VIC-20. I kept it all these years thinking it would become a collector's item. A few years ago, prices on eBay were like $25!! :eek: Forget that!! In the trash it went.

I'm still running 98S.E. with 512 Megs of RAM. Solid as a rock and does exactly what I want it to do.

I use 8GB and that is overkill for me. I just got it for future-proofing. I've not had to go over 4GB of RAM yet. But I plan to do a lot more with VSTs and even some film stuff. Which can hog up tons of RAM. I use an i5 760. 4 cores. OCed from 2.8GHz to 3.8GHz. Plus separate drives for programmes and VSTs. So I should be fine for quite a few years.

You guys all arrived late. My first computer loaded cassette tapes.
64k memory and a 4mhz processor.
Was a beast in its day.

Back