How much RAM are you using, 2006

What amount of RAM are you using these days?

Votes: 18 17.5%
  • 1g

Votes: 39 37.9%
  • 1.5g

Votes: 10 9.7%
  • 2g

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • more

Votes: 8 7.8%

• Total voters
my new computer has a max of 16gb that I'm building, and I bought 4 2gb chips.... did I waste my money? I'll be running w64 with 3DMax and a couple of other rendering programs..

512k, but only because I haven't got round to upgrading yet. Adding some deep digital fx (reverb especially) can eat up that memory in only a few tracks. I'm going for an extra Gb soon.

WOW.. I'm going to need to upgrade! I never knew how much reverb killed resources! I had around 30% cpu usage over about 10 tracks. Then I decided to slap reverb on every seperately instead of on the buss. AH!! Went right to 90% which started a meltdown! :mad:

I think I'll scour the net for a good deal today. :)

smileypaul said:
Smile away.. but you've wasted money :D

WindowsXp can only see a total of 4Gb including page files and swap files... sooo im willing ot bet it only registers that you have ~ 3.2Gigs...
I disagree.
Download ramdisk drivers and create a 512MB virtual drive, this way winows can have its precious swap file. You can allways turn virtual memory off but in my experience windows gets cranky about it

I found a demo RAMdrive app and installed it, but I still only showed 3.4 GB of RAM total.

I created a 2 GB RAMdisk and put my pagefile on it, then took the regular pagefile off the C drive. Seems to work great.

Unfortunately it reserves the entire 2 gig for for virtual mem, which only leaves about 800 MB free after the OS RAM usage.

2 gig is probably too big though, I'll probably cut it down to 1.5, leaving over a gig for apps.

Ack! Over the weekend my computer died. Until I can figure out what happened to it I will fall back to my old comp - so I'm back to 2 Gig. ;)

Kiauma said:
Ack! Over the weekend my computer died. Until I can figure out what happened to it I will fall back to my old comp - so I'm back to 2 Gig. ;)
that sux, what happened? Is it repairable?

I honestly don't know.

It happened in the heat of the day, though I didn't think it was that hot in the house. I had been experimenting with different fans and had just put some Cooler Master monster heat pipe cpu coolers in. I thought the northbridge (e7500) was running a bit warm, but still within limits. I have a side fan which pretty much blows directly on it.

My wife was running it - she said it didn't even blue screen, it just spontaneously shut off. She thought the power had gone out.

At first, nothing. NOTHING. I reset the PS, and finally the system turned on - but no pwr LED, and the pwr switch has no effect, it just turns on when you connect power - and the monitor never turns on.

No post, nothing. All voltages present, and subsystems appear to be working - HDDs run up, NIC connection talks to the router.

I'm not sure what it is, but I know enough to know it looks bad. So, I am going to re-load my old machine (an old dual P3) until I can set aside a few afternoons to track down just what is wrong with it, and decide if it is repairable.

*sigh* :(

I fucking hate computers. Thank god I have reel to reel decks that work while the crashed computer is down again. Oh looky, another corrupted file.

oh did you download the latest driver? We rushed are product to the market and now we finally got around to creating a driver that actually works (well more so than before)

Oh you want to run two breakout boxes at the same time even though we developed the card to run up to three boxes simultaneously and it is advertised as such, well then you need the ROM chip-upgrade! Oh you don't have your original sales receipt, well then I guess your fucked!

Sorry we didn't make new drivers for the newest operating system, guess your going to have to buy the product again!

Back