How much Eq'ing should I have to do?

CanopuS

Amateur music since 1847
This is mic related, as I'm thinking of getting a second B1 to pair my first. I'm happy with its performance on everything except my voice, where (well its my own fault really) I have to EQ off about 4-6db around the 8k range to remove any harshness that I get. Is this too much in the way of digital interference? Should I get a different mic to pair with the B1 instead that suits my voice slightly better? Cheers

I try and keep all my cuts and boosts under 3 decibals. Cuts are not as important to keep that rule and boosts in my opinions.

Keep this in mind. I find that if i ever make an EQ adjustment somewhere that is that high in decibals, its probably more to do with the fact that im doing it in the wrong place. You might not be hitting the root of the harshness. But the problem is you need to have good monitors to help you find the real root.

If you know your hitting the right spot and doing more then just do it. It probably wont sound bad if it really is in the right spot because then you are correcting it. If you are doing it in the wrong spot your cutting decibals to areas that arnt a problem around the problem area, which will cause more problems and probably make the real problem worse. Get what im saying? Your cutting out things around it and it brings that problem out.

With the right tools, right monitors, and the right ears it doesnt matter as much when it comes to mics if its generally good and balanced. But for someone who doesnt know what they are doing they generally do more harm than good when they use EQ. Thats why it really is just best to do it right the first time.

Danny

Hi guys. Just to point out, it is indeed a Studio Projects mic as opposed to the Behringer. It's running through a VTB-1. It's odd, it just creates a really crispy quality to my voice. A pop-shield doesn't rid of the harshness but a piece of A4 paper does (I know). For a lot of stuff I had to resort to using paper, but that only cut out my voice and brought out the room sound more.

Don't sing straight into the mic. Put the mic about forehead level, at a 45 degree angle to the ground. Don't sing into the mic, just sing straight ahead. Putting a pop screen in front of you will help you not try to sing up into the mike.

Indeed I've tried that suggestion, it seems pretty much every angle I try though I still get this sound :( It's probably more to do with my voice than the microphone unfortunately

I believe if that you find yourself applying a lot of equalization, it's a result of using the wrong mic or inappropriate mic positioning. Therefore, it looks like the B1 is not for you.

I love ribbon mics and high-quality large-diaphragm dynamics for vocals...

Back