How much does an analog casette tape compress a signal?

David B

Can someone tell me what's going on here?

I have sent the same mix from my board to both an analog Maxell Cassette (in a $100 Sony tape deck), and to a CD burner. (No DSP)

The cassette sounds better. It's louder, punchier, and fuller-sounding than the same mix on CD.

The signal went from analog OUTS to the casette (RCA jacks)

The signal went from digital OUT to the burner (SPD/IF)

Now, maybe the analog signal is warmer in general, but what I'm perceiving most (I think) is some kind of natural compression from the cassette. (and maybe through the analog OUT too?)

I'm assuming the cassette has less dynamic range than the CD, and therefore, the same signal is getting squeezed on cassette, and not on CD. (or not as much)

Is this correct?

And if so, does anyone know how much an analog cassette generally compresses a signal?

I'd like to be able to use my DSP stuff to make the CD sound more like the casette.

The amount of compression would depend on how hot your were running your signals to tape. The amount would also depend on the brand of tape being used. Too many variables to simply plug them in a digital compressor.

There are analog/tape plugins but why not just master to tape, re-record it to digital and burn from there? I personally wouldnt use casette but you might be able to rent a reel to reel or have a local studio do the transfer to analog for you. If you like casette you would probably love 1/4 inch.

I think it is quite possible that the tape is compressing it enough to make it sound punchier for sure. I also think your digital-to-analog converters might not be the best, so I would look at that.

I would see if I could get a hold of a good 1/4 inch reel. I have a fairly old but little-used Tascam that does the trick nicely.

While I know it's tempting to go the tape route, I'll never go back. Tape noise = NO NEED. I would rather get out my collection of plug-ins and try to mimic the compression effect you are hearing.

Back