How much do you sell a beat for???

RBrez

If you have a beat somebody wants that you made, How much do you sell it for and how do you copyright it????

Just a dude that does local recording, nobody big, they just like my beats....... How much do you think I should give him or anybody beats for????????????????????? Thanks dawg

Charge $$$$$$

This is the wonderful topic on making money. Sellin Beats is a tricky job if your selling them individually. You have to worry about who your sellling it to, worrying if they bite the beats or actually buy them (believe me Im going through it right now) and pricing your creations for a fair price...

Usually the price goes with the value you place on the beats . Make a bracket of beats. Since music has different tastes you dont want to price the wrong beats. Shop the music round to get a feel as to what people have interest in and you will be amazed (if you have alot of beats)

I have people who love one beat, like the next when I thought both were OK..... (Im critical)

Two things you dont do... Never give the disc out on more than 10 tracks. Distort the tracks a lil (So the idiot cant copy right onto there recorder, dont give them a full song...... Voice over the disc if you want to.... All these things make it harder for them to dry sample off the beats and copy straight up.. If there going to take the melody off the beat and replay it your SOL......

Good luck !

Think Bstage was goin in the right diresction, but a little twisted. I have answered this question a few times.... I have to do a search to pull up the reasoning cuz I don't feel like typing it out again, BUT noone can make a legitimate arguement to sell your music outright for a flat fee. You lease them not sell them... I'll get you the link tomorrow where I outline the process.

Sol is one gifted mo fo' but anyone with music ability (those who play keyboard) can recreate a track. Additionally, just about anyone can lace drums so all that shit distortion, voice overs and yada yada yada is really easy to overcome for people who been around a while------- if we want to take your music we can without the original. Don't waste your time with that.

gec said:
Think Bstage was goin in the right diresction, but a little twisted. I have answered this question a few times.... I have to do a search to pull up the reasoning cuz I don't feel like typing it out again, BUT noone can make a legitimate arguement to sell your music outright for a flat fee. You lease them not sell them... I'll get you the link tomorrow where I outline the process.

Sol is one gifted mo fo' but anyone with music ability (those who play keyboard) can recreate a track. Additionally, just about anyone can lace drums so all that shit distortion, voice overs and yada yada yada is really easy to overcome for people who been around a while------- if we want to take your music we can without the original. Don't waste your time with that.

Not everyone that buys beats is a musician (There Rappers) Sure anyone can copy a song and take an extra 2-3 hours.... Gec is right anyone can replay your music to an extent but if they dont have your sounds its much harder..... Distort that shit a little <<< Why not if your demoing your beats..... Obviosly not the beat your giving to the guy.. Im talking for those INTERNET people who post beats on sites and what not.....

Flat rate beats are cool if you dont have a concience about the music once your paid. If you think the person who your selling the music can or will blow up lease it out. Lease the right to the person knowing you get credit in the booklet and on future releases with that beat....

Dont waste your time copyrighting or licensing out shit unless you feel the effort is worth the fees, and contracts you have people sign for your Triton beat <<<< not litterally but example

2C

Ohh ya... I get them off for cheap.. People I know $200 Strangers $275 Up.. Depending on the value I place on my product.. Once the music gets around watch prices raise with them....

Re: Charge $$$$$$

Bstage said:
[B. Voice over the disc if you want to.... All these things make it harder for them to dry sample off the beats and copy straight up.. If there going to take the melody off the beat and replay it your SOL......

Good luck ! [/B]

is it possible for people to take your voice of a record in a studio if so is their a way to combat that

Not everyone that buys beats is a musician (There Rappers) Sure anyone can copy a song and take an extra 2-3 hours.... Gec is right anyone can replay your music to an extent but if they dont have your sounds its much harder..... Distort that shit a little <<< Why not if your demoing your beats..... Obviosly not the beat your giving to the guy.. Im talking for those INTERNET people who post beats on sites and what not.....

Some people live off this shit and will do whatever it takes to make rent money. Not tryin to scare anybody but it's plenty of producer cats that will jack a nice sounding track in a heartbeat... Reprogram and replay the drum pattern, bassline, samples, or whatever... Anybody can program a similar sound using something like a TRITON. All you need is a sound and the will to recreate it. Jack your melody and drums with no problem. Note for note type shit... I've seen it... Went to a cats lab and he play's some tracks on his TRITON... I'm thinking he just downloaded bsome remade popular beats (OUTKAST shit). Cat had replayed the shit and flipped it just enough to sell. Fact is some cats will buy that shit just to do a knock off version of that song (I'm sorry Miss Thompson or some shit). So if cats hear a track they think will rake in a couple g's.... What you think they gonna do. Cats popping each other for a couple dollars. They'll hit you up for a couple hundred no doubt. Not saying it'll happen to you... But life goes on...

As far as selling tracks... I say just let em go. You'll make more. Saying that mainly cuz I know I got thousands of money makers but i'm just sitting on em. I don't like trcking shit so they stay on the disks... But somebody gotta make that money.

People say protect this and protect that but it really depends on what you got. If somebody hits you for your busted ass shoes then wins a track meet in them shits it doen't mean you where going to. Don't die for that shit. Let it go... Get some more shoes and push on.

I'm just talking... Ignore me.:D

^^^

That is an honest reply.... Producers with tricks up there sleeves can feed off of beat sites and jack away.... Technology makes music easy and sometimes too easy.... To protect yourself nowaday's you have to retrict your whole stash.... Dont give discs out blind hoping 1-2 people buy the tracks.....Dont post 16 bit Wav samples of your music on a website... Big No No <<<<<<
Even rm. crap files can be copied because people can hear the beat <<<<

Here is my tactics to avoid beat jackers... ( Instead of Copyrighting and forcing buyers to sign right to you on everything) Post beats on a site in a RM format with some form of noise (analog saturation + Record distortion) Add 30 years to the recording if you have to.... Sample beats are the hardest beats to sample of you chop your samples (Takes Skill) Dont break down a Full Beat,, Give them a taste of the whole production. During the Chorus add a low voice over if you have to... Play the music looping every hour on Internet radio.... Ask the person to write down the time they listened to the beat and give them a key to pick the track name....... Have tham contact you to give them them the cleaner version and personal info...

The safes way is to have 10 beats on a disc and stay with the person while they knock the music. Take the disc with you and your somewhat safe unless the person memorized the melody like a kiniving asshole <<<<<<<<

In other words, make the person take time to duplicate your work, Them more time to recreate an original is more time the original has time to Shine.....

Late.....

from playing shows and such i met a lot of musicians. most of them weren't very good with making original music, but all of them could mimick your tune in a NY minute. so you do have to be careful with your tunes. they will jack you for your composition and that's way more important than your actual sounds.

the only raw sound that i've been totally impressed by and didn't think i could reasonably duplicate was a snare drum on The Tony Rich Project. never heard a rim like that EVER!!!

depending on how much i personally like the beat, and how much i believe in the group i'm allowing to use it. i charge between $250 - $500 for a beat. if i really believe in the group, i'll allow them to use the beat for free with the stipulation that they record their vocals in my studio at $60 per hour. i normally charge $30/hour for people just using the equipment so the fact that they are using my music is built in to the rate.

the beat is solely leased to the person/group for 6 months unless that group includes the beat on a nationally distributed release; otherwise, i am free to lease the beat to someone else.

^^^

I like that.... Cross

Problem is if they move under your wing... You might find out later that you wanted too... Its all in the air though.

Back