How much bass can the Earth take?

Mikey likes it!

I'm thinking of putting a recording studio in a friend's basement that is completely underground. The ground level is even with or just above the door frame. No windows in the basement, and accessible only from outside via steep stone steps. There is a second concrete block wall about 4' high, set 3' or so in from the foundation, with the gap between them filled with gravel and earth. The door is blocked by a 5' stone retaining wall outside, so it may help stop waves escaping there.

My question is this: How much low frequency transmission loss could the surrounding earth provide?

Thought this thread was about rap, didn't you? :D

My question is this: How much low frequency transmission loss could the surrounding earth provide?
Only testing will tell you. Different density soils transmit different frequencies at different rates.
fitZ

Mikey likes it! said:
Aren't you concerned that you might be contributing to the Global Bassing problem?

But seriously, folks...it seems to me that it might be kind of moot question. I mean, how much bass is really getting to the earth surrounding your room versus how much of it is getting reflected back in by the walls? If your room is completely below grade, it's almost certainly encased in a concrete foundation, right? Are bass waves likely to get through that, or are they likely to bounce back? I don't know, by the way; I'm just asking.

See that's nice. A studio AND a bomb shelter. That's a damn good idea! But if your city has a national emergency, tell NO one about your haven.

I mean, how much bass is really getting to the earth surrounding your room versus how much of it is getting reflected back in by the walls?

Low frequency transmission can occur through the ground very readily. Traffic rumble to nearby buildings through soils is a major concern of road designers now. Transmission will occur in ALL materials at a coincident frequency which only testing will tell you. However, these frequencies are very low and distance is the key to concern. If you have neighbors within say 25 feet, you could easily transmit specific low frequencies to their house structure should you have a bass amp directly coupled to the floor. Best bet is to decouple low frequency sources from direct contact with floor via sandfilled platformsfloated on neoprene or fiberglass isolators if you are concerned with this. Testing is expensive. I know of TWO people building studios right now who are very concerned with transmission through a concrete floor. To the point where one is cutting the existing slab and completely removing it, to pour another with isolation joints. However, DO NOT DO THIS IN A BASEMENT, as the slab is structurally integral to the retaining walls.
However, my non expert disclaimer is in FULL force here. Rod Gervais is the resident expert on structural matters. Maybe he could chime in here. I only wanted to mention your concerns are valid when certain circumstances exists. I would also be concerned with posiible dampness. Also, Hapicamper is correct. Normal walls(drywall) are resiliant and contain voids which act as Membrane absorbers, which give you free absorption to an extent. Concrete walls are not resiliant, which makes for little absorption of reflections and very pronounced standing waves. You will need all the bass trapping you can afford. I would suggest "superchunks" of Rigid fiberglass or rockwool, in all the corners. Even at wall/ceiling intersections. Although there is much to learn regarding this subject, you can start here for information.
http://www.realtraps.com/art_studio.htm
fitZ :)

Back