How many tracks with a 5400 RPM HD?

flapo1

How many tracks can I record simultanously using a 5400 RPM HD? I ask this because I want to buy a Delta 1010 card and I want to see if i can take advantage of its features.

The other parts of the system are:

Pentium IV 1.3 Ghz processor
Intel Motherboard
200 Mb RAM

I would like to record at least 8 simultanous tracks, but 10 would be better. Do you think this could be possible? In Mexico where I live 7200 RPM drives are very expensive and hard to find.

Thanks for your advise

Have you tried running any benchmarks?

There's Echo Reporter from the Event people, dskbench from prorec.com, hdtach, or Sandra. The first two are audio specific, and the last two are general benchmarks. There's a bit more to it than just RPM. If you report the scores from one of these benchmarks, we'll get a better picture of how many tracks you'll get.

Queue

You can record 8 easy at one time. If you start to pile lot of tracks on top of that, you may get bogged down for mixing/playback. This is assuming your system is configured well enough for the task.

Thanks for your replies.

Well, Queue. I recently made a test with the echo reporter and it said I could only manage two simultaneous tracks (a stereo signal, then). A friend told me it was because I actually have only a SB Live, and the reporter could see that. For playback, the reporter says I can play up to 30 tracks.

What do you think about it?

Emeric:
I certainly don't have my system well configured, but I'm a bit afraid of it. I've heard some comments that messing with Windows can be a bit of a problem. Can you direct me to a URL or a thread where I can read how to do it safely?

Thanks a lot again! :)

You didn't mention what OS your using. So assuming it's 98, a few things to keep in mind.

- Don't use anti-virus
- Don't use screen savers
- Disable power management features such as shutting the hard drive down in 'xx' minutes or monitor.
- Close all programs that are not needed.

Hit control alt delete and end task everything but systray and explorer.

Go to start>run

type in msconfig and hit enter.

Go to the startup tab and uncheck things that you don't need. What you don't need is hard for me to say, but your pretty safe to uncheck most things in there.

Ideally, dual boot.

www.sigmacomputers.on.ca/dualboot.html

Thanks you for your replies.

I think I'm not using that computer for anything else except maybe office and some Corel things. So now you've got an idea. Emeric. Yes I'm using W98.

PS. By the way...Would you guys do me a favor and check my thread in the mp3 clinic? It's called "La Estación - Music sung in spanish" or something like that. Please! I need some experts advise.

:D

Back