How many tracks will n-Track track?

72fender

I just downloaded and installed n-Tracks based on what I read here. I have a Boss BR-8, which does a great job of recorded but wanted to see what a computer muiltrack could do too. I had a song that I recorded on the BR-8 (6 tracks)and was trying to see how you could record each individual track. The software wanted to save the tracks as 'songs'. I went ahead and recorded each and saved them, I later went and tried to 'load' the tracks and only 4 tracks showed. Can someone point me in the right direction?

First of all how did you export the songs from your recorded into n-track? If you recorded them on your computer into wave files then just open a new song so to file-->import wave file and then click on the wave you want to import. do this as many times as you want until you get all the tracks you want into the program. If you are new to computer editing then you might want to go on the internet and look for the Blue line of plugins. They are really good and cheap. Or search this forum they where will be links to them here somewhere.

Also N-Track will record/play as many tracks as your computer/sound card can handle.

Ahh, Ok, I tried to export tracks, or rather recorded tracks, one at a time, from my BR-8 thru the soundcard. You really must record using the n-Track software. My BR-8 does all this except for the wave editing.

"Also N-Track will record/play as many tracks as your computer/sound card can handle. "

In my experience this isn't true. At about 30 tracks, n-track starts behaving funny. One of the more serious things it will do is introduce lag into new audio tracks. My CPU and hard-drive are not being overloaded (cpu around 20%). Most of the tracks in question are only short little punch-ins. The program itself has a problem in the way it handles tracks.

p.s. - still, how many tracks it takes to bring out the glitch may be somewhat dependent on your machine and OS.

Last edited:
p.s. - still, how many tracks it takes to bring out the glitch may be somewhat dependent on your machine and OS.

Very true. I have only got to eight tracks (using lots of plugins on each) before i start locking up or getting really choppy. But how often do you need 30 tracks. I don't usually.

Sae,

If you're using plugins, that's a different story. Probably your CPU maxes out, and your playback starts skipping. What I'm talking about is n-track screwing up while CPU usage is still relatively low.

Like I said, I use all those tracks to punch in little things here and there. For instance, if I'm recording a guitar solo, and the guitarist keeps messing up, I might record the solo in little bits and pieces, with each piece on its own track. I might also keep multiple takes of a single guitar section so I can figure out which one I want to use later. You'd be suprised how fast you get to 30 tracks.

But little pieces of tracks like that you could always mixdown into one. I personally just punch in instead of using a new track. I guess it's personal perference

You have more control if you punch-in on a seperate track. The track can easily be EQed and volume ajusted to match the original take. Also, it makes it much easier to switch between different takes. Mixing down to 1 track is fine once you've decided which takes to keep, but up until then is not an option.

While much can be accomplished with 30 tracks, I could certainly use more, and wish that I was limited by the capacity of my computer rather than by the software I'm using.

well you could sit there and complain about it or go and buy Cubasis for like $1,000,0000. And Eq'ing while tracking should be the same b/c it's the same instument using the same mixing board in the same room. I would agree with you if you do it over multiple days and/or in different rooms. Like I said...personal preferences.

All that has to happen is for the guitarist to shift positions slightly between takes, and your EQ and amplitude will change. Also, like I said, I find it conveniant to be able to quickly toggle between takes.

I'm not saying n-track is a bad piece of software. If it was, I wouldn't be using it. I actualy have cubase and sonar at my disposal, but for the time being have felt to need to stop using ntrack. I just want to point out that ntrack does have this glitch. I've noticed it on a win98 and 2k, and on both p3 and amd procs.

.. if an n-Track could track tracks ..

I mix on a Pentium 3, 500Mhz, 192MB RAM, and a 7200 RPM hard drive. I've gotten 18 tracks including effects without so much as a hiccup. Works so well, I'm amazed n-Track is only $40. Oh, I'm using Windows 2000 too.

Once again - the problem I experience is totally unrelated to the number of fx I have running. My CPU usage will be down around 20-30%, but ntrack will add latency to new audio tracks - sometimes I even have to reboot before the problem goes away - but I do not experiece skipping - a symptom of CPU or HD overload. If anyone out there can get more than 30 tracks on ntrack without problems, please let me know.

I haven't really put n-track to the test as far as track count goes,
but compared to a Roland zip disk unit(BR-8,VS-840)theres no
comparison!Sell the Roland and upgrade your pc!!!!In spite of
the headaches of computer recording,you will have a much more flexible and expandable system!
Zip disk recording is not the way to go.Not only does it need to be heavily compressed(on my VS-840,I would fit a 5 min.tune into
100mb,where as on my computer the same tune is in the neighborhood of 400MB...Thats data eliminated arbitrarely by some codec.)The data is also unstable.I do a lot of cut,copy and paste editing.ZIP disks(in my experience)are not up to this task.I experienced a lot of garbling of data w/my VS-840.
I have a very modest computer(celeron 533,Abit BE6-2 mobo,30
gig 7200 maxtor HD,196MB pc100 sdram,Ensoniq pci soundcard)
and I'm much happier w/ N-Track than my VS-840.It will easily
handle the 8 tracks + that your BR-8 will give you,and not
compress your audio!!!!

I too experience lag with the addition of a new track sometimes. I wasn't sure it it was due to my 5400rpm hard drive or my amd k6-2 500mhz processor. My maximum amount of tracks so far is 9 and my computer prcatically started smoking with that many.

more basic question than that...

I'm unable to get n-track to record left and right channels simultaneously from a stereo input to the sound card. I armed two channels for recording, but could not get a response from the second one. What am I doing wrong? I can do this with other programs I have, so it's not soundcard related. Please help

Thanks

Back