How many tracks can YOU get with a 5400rpm HD ?

enemyofthesun

I recently took some of my recording gear with me overseas to track a band. Unfortunately the airline beat one of the suitcases up so bad that I lost two harddrives. While I was over there I bought two more drives and re-installed all the software, recorded etc.

Problem is that now upon playback the HD resources on the meter in cubase is maxing out for no apparent reason. Previously I was able to play all 22+ channels and record simultaneously. Now I cant even playback. Any ideas? The CPU resources are fine.

I assume your old HD was probably a 7200 rpm....

5400 is really slow to be doing digital recording/playback on I would think. When I set my system up I had several people tell me not to go below 7200 rpm's on the HD's or I would have recording/playback problems bigtime.

I can't gaurentee that this is your problem since I have never worked on a drive slower than 7200 for digital recording, but I would guess that it is what is causing you trouble.

yes you are right. All I could get my hands on where 5400rpm drives as replacements

Starngley enough I had been able to play up to 22 tracks but after restarting the PC on a certain ocassion they wouldnt even play after that without maxing out the hard drive resource meter.

I am going to back these songs up using the audio pool functions and then copy it all over to a new 7200rpm set of drives.

damn!! well at least I got it tracked succesfully!!

Back