How many pres at once with the Fireface 400?

giopad65

Hi everybody,
the following question arose after reading some posts here.
I have a RME Fireface 400, I mostly use the embedded pres of.
I see there are two line inputs on the front I have happened to use with an external pre (DAV BG-1).
I would like to know how many pres I can plug simultaneouly into the FF400, since there are for more line inputs on the back of the interface. Can I plug six pres (two in the front and four in the back), so that adding the internal pres I can record eight channels at once?
Thank you in advance.

Yes, the FF400 gives you a total of eight (8) analog inputs to connect whatever you wish.

In fact, you could feasibly connect a total of 18 preamps if you get a further 8 channel unit with ADAT in/out (like a Presonus or Mackie somethingorother) and another stereo preamp that has S/PDIF in/out. That's a good number for any project studio.

Cheers :)

Yes, the FF400 gives you a total of eight (8) analog inputs to connect whatever you wish.

In fact, you could feasibly connect a total of 18 preamps if you get a further 8 channel unit with ADAT in/out (like a Presonus or Mackie somethingorother) and another stereo preamp that has S/PDIF in/out. That's a good number for any project studio.

Thank you very much. ;)

Now I am wondering if it becomes a matter of how well the soundcard and/or the MacBook can handle so many digital signals. ;)

The soundcard IS the FF400. Since it's on the firewire protocol, it will have at least a 400Mb/sec transfer rate which means that it's plenty fast. I have done 48-track recordings on a single firewire connection. Don't worry, it's fast enough.

As far as the Macbook, yes, it will handle it just fine. As long as you don't have too much happening on input, (plugins, etc) you will be fine. Just remember to try and record to an external drive. The system drive in the Macbook is likely to do the job but if you want real stability, use an external. Even USB 2.0 is good enough.

Back