How many ports do I really need?

Yadi

I am still shopping audio cards such as aardvark pro 2496 and ego sys wamirack24. Without debating the best sound cards, can anyone tell me if I could benefit from the additional midi ports provided on the wamirack24? I believe it is 4 ins/outs of midi for the wamirack vs 1 in/out on the aardvark.

I plan to midi my keyboard Alesis QS8.1 (1) and drum kit Roland TD-5 (1). Couldn't I just utilize the midi thru on the keyboard, putting my drums at the end of the chain? To do this, wouldn't I have to setup each device to send/receive on certain channels?

If so, what is the benefit of all those midi ports?

Thanks in advance!

Yadi

Each port gives you 16 channels. If you want more channels than that you need more ports. Even if you're only using 5 or six parts at a time, if you layer some parts those 16 channels get used up in a hurry.
Also remember that a dedicated MIDI interface with 2in/2out is less than $100.

good pt

thanks drstawl, being a newbie I was completely overlooking the number of "parts"...which could easily be many. Thanks again.

yup

I agree with that...I don't think my roland td-5 has any options whatsover...it just comunicates on a particular channel and thats it. The QS8.1 should be able to set to different channels. Nonetheless....I'd rather not worry about it at all.

Back