how many inputs for a sound card?

dix0r

basically, i'm just learning the basics of recording right now. i don't even know if i'm using the right terminology, lol. but anyways, even though i know just about nothing about this stuff so far, i wanted to get a good sound card so that i won't need to upgrade it if i keep going with this (which i'm pretty sure i will). i don't know if what i want is overkill though...

so anyways, if i'm recording drums with, say, 8 mics - snare, kick, high hat, 3 toms, and 2 overheads, wouldn't i need a sound card with at least 8 inputs? i know its possible to bounce them to less tracks, but wouldn't it be best to keep them separate if possible? lastly, what sound card would you recommend, with around 10 inputs?

sorry for the stupid question, and i'm sorry if this has been asked a lot before - i did a search and couldn't come up with anything...

thanks,

-mike

oh and this will be for a PC...not sure the specs yet, but i guess i'll probably be running XP...

Depends on your budget and what quality you're aiming for.
And remember that you'll also need a preamp for every microphone you want to use.
A few brands to do a search on: M-audio, Aardvark, STaudio, MOTU, RME...

Yes, if you want to record that many inputs simultaneously, i.e. putting each drum on it's own track, you'll need a soundcard with at least that mnay inputs. Most cards with that many inputs have their inputs merely in the form of line-level 1/4" jacks. You'll need a mic preamp for every mic, therefore you may also need to look into an external mixer with mic pre-amps on board, or alternatively something like the Focusrite Octopre which has 8 pre-amps.

cool!

thanks for the help guys.

i have about $700 bucks right now but i'm willing to spend however much i need to so that i won't "outgrow it" and have to upgrade any time soon. don't know if that means saving more or what? anyways, i'll check out those brands, and i do know i'll need pres too...but i'll worry about that later :]

Back