• 5-8 Variety is the spice of life.

Votes: 628 35.7%
  • 9-12 I'm a serious collector.

Votes: 160 9.1%
  • Over 13 Maybe I should open a store.

Votes: 180 10.2%

• Total voters
Well,

The thing is, What i like about the JEM is that it was my first REAL guitar plus that it plays great (shred like things)... what i don't like is the tone; to generic to flat too metal, too little life... it's kinda sad to have a 1000,- guitar which you don't REALLY like...

I mean it's just that ibanez tone... which kinda bores me now... now i always adviuce everyone not to sell ANY gear that is collectable.. but i'm short on cash, want a seven string and a different guitar with some "unique" tone... (that's two new guitars... hehehe and no cash...)

I'm kinda stuck because i don't wanna keep the guitar for the looks but then again it plays great and this might just be a phase (hating floyd bars and basswood bodies...;) )

SO give me your opinion... m

Thanks

Guhlenn

Since you asked for an opinion, I have an Ibanez RG550. Very similar to yours in tone and playability. I agree that it plays amazing. I also agree that the tone isn't my favorite.

Strangely enough, I often use it live instead of my Strat, my ESP MIII, my Heatfield, and my ESP Custom (which I can't use because of the graphic). One interesting reason is because I have my SansAmp PSA-1 tweaked for the Ibanez's tone. At home, I'll often choose the ESP MIII to play with my TriAxis because it has an EMG-81 pickup which sounds great.

I could never get rid of the RG550 because it plays so well.

If you are bored with the tone, you might want to try an EMG-81. Especially if you use a tube amp. That might fix your probs with the tone character.

I hear ya about having an expensive guitar that isn't your dream guitar. You may be better off with another guitar. However, chances are you won't get what it's worth in trade. Also, I'll guarantee eventually you'll regret giving it up.

thanks for your reply lopp,

Well, my biggest fear is wakin up one day and missing my ibanez... after i sold ofcourse... after my message to ya i went home and there it started lookin at me and made me feel guilty, so i fiddled around with it (mostly pickup height adjustment) and the guitar started breathing again... I guess i'm gonna keep it...m (it's the only guitar my girlfriend likes.. cuz of the nice blue flowesr...);)

I'm kinda surprised by the emg comment... you really think that's a good pickup? i always heard that they have this REALLY generic sound ie emg is emg sound... anyway that's worth a try in the futurte when i get somne cash... damn this worthless collection frenzy!!!

anyway i'll stick with it i guess... it's a good guitar... so how do those EMG's sound on a rg?

Guhlenn

ps. If you think the RG550 plays like a dream, i can garantee ya, that jem is like butter in your hands.. never had a guitar that plays better...

guhlenn said:
...the guitar started breathing again... I guess i'm gonna keep it...

Excellent!

I'm kinda surprised by the emg comment... you really think that's a good pickup? i always heard that they have this REALLY generic sound ie emg is emg sound... anyway that's worth a try in the futurte when i get somne cash... damn this worthless collection frenzy!!!

anyway i'll stick with it i guess... it's a good guitar... so how do those EMG's sound on a rg?

The EMG-81 is on my MIII. It works great with tube amps by giving a bit hotter ouput to the initial gain stage. The MIII had a similar tone to the RG550 until I replaced the pickup with the EMG.

I use the RG550 with my SansAmp PSA-1 live because it DOESN'T have the EMG-81. The EMG is almost too hot for the PSA-1.

The EMG-81 is generic? I dunno. I guess that depends on what you're looking for. That's probably like saying a Marshall is generic because it will give you a Marshall sound, a Mesa/Boogie is generic because it will give you a Mesa/Boogie sound, a Fender Stratocaster is generic...

I have guitars without it which help for variety. If I had to choose one, I would pick the MIII with the EMG-81. (Listen to Zakk Wylde or James Hetfield. Unless their tone is too generic for ya. ;) )

ps. If you think the RG550 plays like a dream, i can garantee ya, that jem is like butter in your hands.. never had a guitar that plays better...

The RG550 is the Jem without the monkey grip. Yup. Plays like butter.

Matt

The EMG-81 is generic? I dunno. I guess that depends on what you're looking for. That's probably like saying a Marshall is generic because it will give you a Marshall sound, a Mesa/Boogie is generic because it will give you a Mesa/Boogie sound, a Fender Stratocaster is generic...

The RG550 is the Jem without the monkey grip. Yup. Plays like butter.
Matt [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, true. Like i said i only heard from people... people talk a lot of crap i guess.. i'll give them a try... after all the sound of Hetfield wasn't THAT bad :D (Hetfield was one of my hero's back when i was small... )

And about the rg; it's a very decent guitar but believe the differences go further then the monkey grip... The neck is just sooo thin and fast (sanded it down for even faster playing... )
Overall it just has a different feel.

oh and one more question about the EMG's; what's "a little" hotter? and how is their tone? as in mid heavy bass heavy you know what i mean ?

Thanks !

Guhlenn

THe EMG's are a "little hotter" in that they are higher output. This really helps push the initial stages of a tube amp. I can't characterize the actual tone of the EMG perfectly because I hear it in combination with my TriAxis. This combination gives me good low mids, but that is partly influenced by my amp settings.

Btw, the necks on the RG550 and the jem are exactly the same radius on both sides and the same frets. Yours may be a bit different if you sanded it down.

lopp,

first off; the jem neck is not the same as the wizard II (RG series) neck.. i just had to say that... they do seem very alike but they are not the shape is a bit different and the jem is a little thinner...

anyway, i know what "hotter" means, i was kinda hoping on a bassy trebly blabla respons

anyway, thanks for your advice and i'll let ya know wheni put 'm in!

Guhlenn

Damn. I heard and read so much about how the RG550 is a stripped down Jem. Now I'll have to go buy a jem. :p

Sorry I couldn't give ya more info on the EMG. I'll just add that it seemed to give me more beef than the original bridge pickup on my ESP MIII.

Heh.

Strangely enough, my RG isn't really mine. An old acquaintance lent it to me a decade ago and didn't ask for it back. Now I have no clue how to reach him. Thus, I'm "stuck" with the RG because he may someday track me down and ask for it back. Good thing it's a nice guitar.

12 - I like most of them

RG550
RG350DX
RG520QS
RG7620
JEM777VDY
PGM30
Talman Electric (don't know what model)
Talman Acoustic (think it's TC10 or something)
Peavey Vandenburg model
Peavey Tracer
ESP Kamakaze
Fender Standard Strat

Attached a picture of them...

Attachments

• myguitars.jpg
    myguitars.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 179
Geetars.........

I own 3 guitars and a bass. Love 'em all and wouldn't dream of parting with any of them.
Here goes......

1972 Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top
my first serious guitar. Bought it brand new for something like $350. right off the rack from my local music store, with tags and case.

1995 Les Paul Standard
birds-eye maple with sunburst finish. Twas a birthday gift from my lovely wife. Damn near collapsed with a coronary when I opened it up and laid eyes on it!!!

2000 Fender American Deluxe Fat Strat
Natural ash finish, locking tuners, roller nut, trem. When I first picked this thing up and whacked the first chord, the whole thing just reverberated and resonated in my hands, and I knew then that I had to have it. Having been a Les Paul player, never played a stratbefore that had a humbucker in the bridge and was floored by all the possible tonal variations.

1972-ish Fender Jazz Bass
bought it used in 1980 with the original white lacquer finish removed down to the bare wood.

-Max-,...

Ditto, nic pics,... nice Ibanez's.

I'm an Ibanez man, myself, I have 6:
3 Ibanez guitars & 3 Ibanez basses.

-plus several other non-Ibanez guitars & basses.

95 Epiphone sg
2000 Schecter Diamond series 006 6 string
Takamine G-400 acoustic

Lopp said:
Damn. Only seven:

- ESP Custom
- ESP MIII
- Fender Stratocaster
- Ibanez RG550
- Heartfield EX
- Yamaha Acoustic
- Ibanez 5-string Bass

These threads are fun because everyone always loves wankin about the gear they own.

Man, you're the other person who bought a Heartfield? Me too!

Polaris20 said:

Man, you're the other person who bought a Heartfield? Me too!

Heh.

Yeah. They are pretty rare. However, there's both a RR and an EX on eBay right now. Damn, I wish I had the cash for the RR.

Back