Votes: 707 40.2%
  • 5-8 Variety is the spice of life.

Votes: 628 35.7%
  • 9-12 I'm a serious collector.

Votes: 160 9.1%
  • Over 13 Maybe I should open a store.

Votes: 180 10.2%

• Total voters
That's cool mate, with the dates on them some of them must be worth thousands. Suppose it shows what can be achieved if you shop around plenty. I think it's a bit different in the uk as I don't think there's quite such a high proportion of quality instruments in amongst the usual pawn shop dross. Seen some quality amps at bargain prices though.

I'm just a regular dude with average income who uses most of his expendable income on guitars.

I'm a SUPER hardcore pawnshop hound. I relentlessly hit pawnshops daily during my sales routes. I know most of the managers and owners of pawnshop in a 75-100 mile radius of where I live.
Ah, so you're why pawn shops in Texas are shit for musical instruments. I always thought it was weird that every pawn shop I've ever been too is full of garbage. You get all the good stuff.

Ah, so you're why pawn shops in Texas are shit for musical instruments. I always thought it was weird that every pawn shop I've ever been too is full of garbage. You get all the good stuff.

Where do you live Greg? Houston Dallas ,Austin, San Antonio? The pawnshops in my area are about the best in Texas. I've spent full days hitting pawnshops in the Valley, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston. Most of the gear in those pawnshops are priced really high and don't budge much on prices.

I feel I'm living in a time warp with some of the prices I get on gear around here.

GREAT area to build up a guitar collection for sure.:)

Hey, what happened to that shot you used to have by the diving board? Did you sell some of them off?

BTW, I'll take a blackface Deluxe or Princeton, please. I'm not picky.

Hey, what happened to that shot you used to have by the diving board? Did you sell some of them off?

BTW, I'll take a blackface Deluxe or Princeton, please. I'm not picky.

I still have all the amps except all the Bassman heads. I needed to buy more guitars and they had to be sacrificed.

I think this is the pic you are thinking of.

100_0332.jpg

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but I think the one I'm thinking of had even more amps. I most likely saved the pic somewhere, but it woould be on my other computer at home (long story).

Where do you live Greg?

Just outside of Houston. Katy. I think maybe pawn shops suck in Houston because there are so many alternatives. There are 6 guitar centers, tons of one-off mom-and-pop shops, Fullers, Rockin Robin, Hermes, and a booming craigslist scene. Pawn shops are great around here for tile cutters, guns, and air compressors. They suck for music gear.

Just outside of Houston. Katy. I think maybe pawn shops suck in Houston because there are so many alternatives. There are 6 guitar centers, tons of one-off mom-and-pop shops, Fullers, Rockin Robin, Hermes, and a booming craigslist scene. Pawn shops are great around here for tile cutters, guns, and air compressors. They suck for music gear.

I thought Fullers closed down...or maybe I'm thinking of a different Fullers. There used to be one off of 610 and Yale on the north side of the loop. Fuller's Vintage Guitar or whatever. Not sure if they moved or not but they closed that location down before I left to move to Indiana 2 years ago. Ditto on the H-town pawn shops though, they suck for music gear.

I thought Fullers closed down...or maybe I'm thinking of a different Fullers. There used to be one off of 610 and Yale on the north side of the loop. Fuller's Vintage Guitar or whatever. Not sure if they moved or not but they closed that location down before I left to move to Indiana 2 years ago. Ditto on the H-town pawn shops though, they suck for music gear.

Fullers is still there in that same location. I go there all the time. If they closed and reopened, I must have missed it.

Four: 12 string acoustic, 6 string acoustic, 6 string acoustic (nylon strings) and archtop electric. Fender and Marshall acoustic amps.

I have four: an LP, a strat, a ES175 and an acoustic. All cheap clones but excellent axes that covers a not bad range of tones.

Beside them I have other four at my carpenter shop workbench on the go (I am building them myself): an SG, a semi hollow body LP, a LP-DC and a Tele. I don't know if I will keep them after they are finished though or if I will give them away. It will depend if they will provide me uniques tones. If not, I have a couple avid nephews. I am specially excited with the SG that will receive a pair of P90 pickups.

:)

The guys and gals here here would be interested to see whats on your bench........... Project builds are always well supported here.

Wow, I never returned here since I posted my contribution around one and a half year ago! Along this time a lot of things happened, including the dismantling of my carpentry shop. I ended figuring out that it had turned into a big unused space that I wasn't visiting more than once in a month... the thrill had gone. The guitars... well... the guitars went away. I found a mate interested on start playing luthier that bought all the unfinished instruments plus a couple spare necks and bodies and some chunks of wood reserved for future projects. The only guitar I got close to finish was the Gibson SG clone: I set the neck in, assembled all the hardware and strung it to check if everything was fine and it played in tune!

Here a picture of it at the moment... not great (it was going to be my first luthier project so be gentle with me!) - LoL!

3fdoiNO.jpg

Then I disassembled it to start finishing but had a very bad time priming so I never painted it. I think that it was one of the things that stole my thrill as I had big expectations with this guitar. Anyway, now everything is gone and I doubt that I return to such hobby one day.

About my playable guitars I still have the same set and don't plan to acquire no one else. In fact I put my Strat on sale and the next in the row will be the 175. My intention is to keep only the Les Paul since it is the one I always end picking (I only play in home and at recording sessions). Her trustful companion is a small VST VT-15 amp.

:)

Last edited:
At the moment I have three, an old Cortez acoustic, a Fender Squier Jaguar bass, and my pride and joy, a Jerry Douglas signature Telecaster I bought from a co-worker about twelve years ago for $200:
#RUSSELL cover.jpg

Back