How is this soundcard?

if you are strapped for cash then you won't go too far wrong with this. But you won't hear many kind words around here for soundblaster cards. Personally, I'd save up and get a higher end audio card by a more reputable "audio card" manufacturer rather than a gaming sound card (which is soundblasters background).

Your 5.1 speakers will work with 7.1 cards but you'll be two speakers down that all

I've just had a look at the specs for the guitarport and as far as I can tell I see no reasons for it not working with a bass guitar

Hmm thanks for the advice, but whats a good soundcard for recording thats around $100?

Btw, I am kind of a gamer so having a gaming card is not a bad thing for me. But I'd rather jhave some thing better for recording and good for other things.

I bought a delta 44 and it's great for recording, but it kinda sucks for gaming. I think it was $150-ish from some buyitnow guy on ebay. He was in Indy. He was cool and shipped it next day for no additional $$.

VMattyV said:
Hmm thanks for the advice, but whats a good soundcard for recording thats around $100?

Btw, I am kind of a gamer so having a gaming card is not a bad thing for me. But I'd rather jhave some thing better for recording and good for other things.

Not sure if it can be used for gaming, but its a very solid audio card from a company known for it's drivers...and it's kinda in your price range.
Echo MIA
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Recording/Computer/Hardware?sku=247016

Ok, now im wondering, how come these audio ones look so different from regular soundcards? And what is it that makes them better? Do they play music better? If they do I don't see what makes them not good for games. Also, these go into the PCI slot right? If its not a big difference then I think it would be a lot easier to get the Sound Blaster. But I'm welcome for you guys to convince me.

Update:
http://dmzweb4.europe.creative.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=897,E=0000000000115896414,K=6211,Sxi=0,Case=obj(5660),Kb=ww_english_add,VARSET=ws:http://us.creative.com/

Last edited:
The Soundblaster will advertise a bunch of features but it's strong suit is not converting real time, real world audio to be recorded to hard drive then turned back around to real time real world audio. What it does do pretty well is take digital media (prerecorded materials) and plays them back but that's just half the picture isn't it. Wait till you want to do zero latency or near zero latency record monitoring. Not gonna happen.

Start a poll...go on...do it...and ask "who here started with a soundblaster card and went to a music recording card and has regrets?" Not tryin' to piss you off but I am being serious. Maybe that will help the sell. While you're at it, ask which cards they went for you your budget range.

There are some folks here perfectly happy with using the SB type of card but many of us (myself included) ran up against it's limitations very quickly.

Let me try to convince you of one other thing while were at it...

Consider having two PC's... One for your gaming needs and one for your music needs.

I know I know... way too expensive now, but if you become serious about your music and remain serious about your games then you really need to keep the two separate.

I have more issues than enough in the days when I was playing counterstrike on the same PC that I tried to record my music on. When I was just into MIDI it wasn't much of a problem but when I started tracking, the souns card I was using at the time was great for gaming and general music playing but really crap at recording due to major latency issues.

Nowadays I've moved away from my gaming but I still have, in effect, two PC's because I use pull out hard drives. I have one which has all the usual word processing and other "office" type stuff, graphics packages and god know what else. The other hard drive just has it's operating system, Sonar, Sound Forge and CD Architect plus some plugins. And it starts up with the minimum of processes, no MSN and other stuff like that... pure music workstation.

just a thought

Synkrotron said:
Let me try to convince you of one other thing while were at it...

Consider having two PC's... One for your gaming needs and one for your music needs.

I know I know... way too expensive now, but if you become serious about your music and remain serious about your games then you really need to keep the two separate.

I have more issues than enough in the days when I was playing counterstrike on the same PC that I tried to record my music on. When I was just into MIDI it wasn't much of a problem but when I started tracking, the souns card I was using at the time was great for gaming and general music playing but really crap at recording due to major latency issues.

Nowadays I've moved away from my gaming but I still have, in effect, two PC's because I use pull out hard drives. I have one which has all the usual word processing and other "office" type stuff, graphics packages and god know what else. The other hard drive just has it's operating system, Sonar, Sound Forge and CD Architect plus some plugins. And it starts up with the minimum of processes, no MSN and other stuff like that... pure music workstation.

just a thought

you pull out the hard drives to switch?? a prefer the dual boot myself.

OP: if you are in the states, look on ebay. there are great deals on pro-audio stuff there. or if you are a student, check out www.studica.com.

Back