How is the Cubasis learning curve?

zenpeace69

I would love to be able to buy the Tascam US-122 with Cubasis program, but I don't want to have to spend 6 months learning how to record and mix down tracks.

Would you guys call this program user friendly and intuitive? I have done analog recording and some recording with Cakewalk Guitar Tracks (the simpler program not the Pro Studio).

What do you think? Will I be up and recording in no time?

thanks

In my opinion it is not that easy. Take this coming from somebody with absolutely no computer recording experience. I'm sure it's not that bad for someone who has a clue what they are doing.

The US-122 is great once you get it going though. I don't see how you can beat it for the price. I just decided it was time to make a change and get with the times. I'm sure it will be fine once I get used to it.

I can't honestly say that I am in love with Cubasis though.

I have tried most of what is out there, and have found cubase to be one of the most intuitive, easy to learn programs.

If you are going to be recording on your computer, there is going to be somewhat of a learning curve, but it really depends on how deep you want to delve into the software. Most programs are at least set up so that you can begin recording with ease in a manner of minutes.

Where you go from there will probably require consulting the manual a few times, but it will be worth it.

My advice would be to download a few software demos to see what suits you best.

I have to agree with trogdor about the ease of use and the educational value of cubasis though I'm not familiar with the Tascam US-122. Cubasis comes with a manual that helps you set up your computer sound system and it has a very detailed step-by-step instructions on the recording process. You should realize though that even though you purchase a piece of equipment that's easy to use, you're still looking at years before you know what you're doing. G/L

My advice with any software is.... RTFM! :D

For a while I messed around with Cakewalk, then switched to Cubase VST... and now I am on SX.

Admittedly there was a bit of a culture shock going from Cakewalk to Cubase, but once I got used to it, it was much more convenient and allowed me to work faster. But I made a point to read the manual from start to finish, and keep it by my desk until I knew where things were and what could be done.

I think you would have been better if you weren't exposed to Cakewalk before Cubasis. I recently switched from Sonar to Nuendo and keep looking for config tools in places they would be in sonar. Obviously, Steinberg has their own way of doing things but it's frustrating if you've gotten to a competent level on one program.

Either way, it might be tough but you can always ask questions here. :D

stone

zenpeace69 said:
I would love to be able to buy the Tascam US-122 with Cubasis program, but I don't want to have to spend 6 months learning how to record and mix down tracks.
It's not a learning curve.

It's a dead vertical cliff face.

I've had Cubase VST 5.1 for about a year and a half and never have been able to get it to do anything but test tracks. This is a real heartbreak when you build a fully dedicated, semi-pro studio around it with serious intentions. I just keep hitting brick walls and wearing myself out. Trying to learn by trial and error is an agony on a program this complex.

I have the stock documentation and both aftermarket manuals and have yet to find a single useful answer to a question yet in any of them. Not one. It's like every question I have is absent from the manuals or else it's hidden someplace where I can't find it. Index? Forget it. It's not there.

I have hit most of the home recording fora, including this one and have gotten maybe two answers that I could use on a couple of minor points, but they're a little further along the process and more basic questions have stopped me before I got there.

Admittedly, having done a lot of analog recording in the past, I maybe don't see digital practice instinctively and am trying to impose analog logic where it's not applicable or something, but I can assure you, Cubase is not easy to use.

I would say the learning curve differential between digital and analog is something like 50/1 or 100/1. I think you are probably way, way ahead if you have never done analog and start fresh with digital.

I felt even worse about this until someone pointed out that the majority of people trying to set up home digital studios fail and give up because learning the software is simply too hard.

I haven't given up yet, but it's really been frustrating beyond words.:(

Thanks for the responses.

I am at a loss. I used to do analog recording, but was always unhappy with the cost and the inherent noise that comes along with such set-ups. I then (when I owned a pc) tried several programs and really liked using Cakewalk Guitar Tracks 2. It was laid out like an analog 8 track and was fairly intuitive. Then the program stopped working and i had issues with my PC OS. I went MAC and now I am completely without any recording software because there is so little to even try without dropping a few hundred bucks. I can't afford to spend that kind of money only to find out that the program is impossible to work with or it is simply incompatible with MAC OS X.

This is very frustrating and by the looks of this thread Cubasis won't be any different.

There is obviously a market for simple, intuitive multitrack recording programs, but no one is bothering to serve that market.

This sucks...

Amen Brother!
I Feel your pain.
If you find such a program, please let me know!
I've got an IMac DV. The best thing I've found is Pro Tools Free. Records 2 channels at once, along with midi.
Still way too complicated though, esp. on a multi use machine. I still use my old Tascam 4 track most of the time.

Whit

Don't give up!

Okay, I don't want to go on a rant here because that's not my style... But it kind of irks me everytime I go into the newbie forum (not implying anyone in present company is a newbie to recording) and there's another post saying "Hi, I want to make professional quality recordings...how can I get the very best sound, and I want software and gear that is easier to use than the clapper."

Do you think professionals endure years of school and experience to use software and equipment that lets you "jump right in"? Do you know how far recording technology has come in the past 10-15 years to let you record and visually edit 24+ tracks of 24bit 96khz digital audio in the sanctity of your own home or apartment even? Do you expect anything worthwhile to come to you without a little perseverance and hard work?

And you're not even talking about a professional setup. If home recording is REALLY something that you want to do, then read the forums, read the manual, learn the software through trial and error and experimenting, and believe me YOU WILL GET IT. You have a wealth of resources at your disposal, including a community of people have been through the same things and want to help. Just don't expect it to happen overnight. That's the mindset of many a newbie who has been eventually overwhelmed at the fact that, yes, a recording application has a few more ins and outs than something such as, say, Microsoft Notepad.

I'm not trying to come down on you...I just want you to realize that recording and all of its facets are complicated by nature. If software were so simple that my Grandma could use it, it wouldn't be able to perform half of the shit that it can. Just believe me that once you've gotten your feet wet and begun to get over the initial 'hump' of the learning curve you'll find it to have been completely worth your time.

Hope to see you around the forum.

trog

Back