How is the audio in these videos being recorded?

This is all pretty damn good information, but I just want to ask: Is there any good reason you can't just record a voiceover after the video is shot? Maybe a "live" intro and/or outro. I guess I'm not sure what your intended audience might expect, but it sure alleviates a bunch of the issues raised in this thread.

Hi Ashcat,
It's a fair question and one I did consider. The two primary reasons are the additional time that I (believe) would be required for voice over. The other reason was that there are certain positions that you just need to feel as you cue and I don't know if I could do it as well by sitting in front of a microphone versus actually feeling what I was doing as I was speaking/explaining. I acknowledge that this may be due to my lack of experience in making such recordings...and it is certainly something I will at least try out. But those were my initial thoughts.
:)

I didn't read the whole thread so maybe it's been suggested already. If you have the H4N, you can use one or two shotgun mics placed either side of the mat and out of sight of the camera.

Hi Ashcat,
It's a fair question and one I did consider. The two primary reasons are the additional time that I (believe) would be required for voice over. The other reason was that there are certain positions that you just need to feel as you cue and I don't know if I could do it as well by sitting in front of a microphone versus actually feeling what I was doing as I was speaking/explaining. I acknowledge that this may be due to my lack of experience in making such recordings...and it is certainly something I will at least try out. But those were my initial thoughts.

Speaking as one who has done a lot of live video/TV recording, if budget permits, my choice would indeed be a lav. A voice over could work but the lav would give more of a sense of "being part of the action".

Shot guns can work but are best when you can have a boom/fishpole operator who can keep the mic pointed at your mouth even as you move.

A voice over could work but the lav would give more of a sense of "being part of the action".

Yes. That is exactly what I was thinking.

Any suggestions on a wireless lavs? B&H has Polsens and Audio Technica for a couple hundred all the way up to the $799 Sennheiser and Sony. I'm not looking for the cheapest of the bunch, but I don't want to be spending extra for long range, when I'll be within 15 feet of the camera.
ie: This is from the Sennheiser....I don't know what it is, but sounds expensive. ;)
"3 Level Squelch To Block Interference
20 Banks With 12 Channel Presets Each"

Yes. That is exactly what I was thinking.

Any suggestions on a wireless lavs? B&H has Polsens and Audio Technica for a couple hundred all the way up to the $799 Sennheiser and Sony. I'm not looking for the cheapest of the bunch, but I don't want to be spending extra for long range, when I'll be within 15 feet of the camera.
ie: This is from the Sennheiser....I don't know what it is, but sounds expensive. ;)
"3 Level Squelch To Block Interference
20 Banks With 12 Channel Presets Each"

Well the ones I use now are THESE.

Other brands I'd consider (but don't have recent personal experience with would be Trantec and Shure in a similar price range.

FYI, for the most part the money you pay is for reliability and sound quality rather than just range.

The pack will come with a good microphone but probably in black. If you're clipping outside, this should be fine. However if you're trying to hide it, you may want a flesh coloured mic. Lately I've been trying cheap Chinese mics from a certain supplier and having good results. The guy I've been buying from is anzee21 | eBay

Note that I'm only buying mics, not the electronics. I'd worry about the frequency ranges he's selling in most countries. However, I'm now able to treat the mics themselves almost as disposable items--since even the most expensive are sensitive to sweat etc. this makes sense to me.

Back