how is my mix ???

chees-its

Hello
this is an upbeat fusion type song
i hope it is interesting as i feel it may be a little bit off in the minds of many, however, this is what has been in my head so it had to come out i guess ? i was experimenting with different instrument combinations within logic as well as trying to play some fusion licks during the verse parts
i'm not sure how i feel about it although i do think it's a fairly catchy tune
Would be very pleased with comments of any kind
thank you

Scratch by TheJBProject on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

That initial dissonance kicked me in the face :) I got used to it, and I think it sounds good when combined with your soloing later on. So I wouldn't change it, just my first thoughts.

I do think the guitar didn't gel with the rest of the mix. I like the ambient sound with the guitar kind of "off in the distance". It works well for this song. But I just kept hearing the guitar and the beat as two separate instruments. I think the fact that the guitar is live and the beat was done on a computer is contributing to this; I could hear the ambient noise of the recorded guitar just below the music, and since the beat didn't have this it really stood out.

Hope this helps,

David

Hi David thanks so much for the feedback
i'm going to try and re-mix to get the guitar to sound a little more "inside" the mix as i wasn't quite sure how to get it just right, it was sounding really in your face at first and i just wanted to fix that and now i have to bring it back a little i think... and i was trying to figure out how to zap some of that noise in the background and i'm thinking i might need a noise suppressor in the near future

You need to get the keyboard sound out of the left ear and spread it more. This is a better mix but it still sounds like someone recording their noodling to a backing track for mine..... the guitar, as a heavily distorted sound, and the backing just aren't coming together...

IMHO anyway..

Cheers

I like the mix but I struggle with the lead patterns you are playing as they are too dissonent - for me. Coming from a blues type background I can't "understand" these patterns. It's probably more a jazz type crowd pleaser....
But again I think your recording is good and mix is good too. :D:D:D:D

Hello
thank you Armistice and idol1957 ( nice to see a fellow Canuck here ) for your kind words
i went in and checked my output channel with a multimeter and i found there was clipping on the left, the keyboards were a bit loud on the left for some reason, probably all the effects and automation i had on them, so i took them down and spread each side and played the guitar parts clean this time hoping that this way there's less background noise .. also put a tiny bit of verb on the output strip to make it feel like the guitar is "together" with everything else

http://soundcloud.com/thejbproject/scratch-clean-lead-4

Last edited:
Back