How is a "Comb Filter" effect achieved ?

Pretty much a delay, with no repeat and then mix that with the original. Tweak the delay so it's quite small and then you sort of get the hollow sound suddenly appear when the levels and delay start the comb filtering. I find it happens quite often by mistake! Years ago I'd stick shotgun mics on stage edges and comb filtering was pretty common and tricky to get rid of. Never thought of it as a positive?

Pretty much a delay, with no repeat and then mix that with the original. Tweak the delay so it's quite small and then you sort of get the hollow sound suddenly appear when the levels and delay start the comb filtering. I find it happens quite often by mistake! Years ago I'd stick shotgun mics on stage edges and comb filtering was pretty common and tricky to get rid of. Never thought of it as a positive?
Trying to recreate the guitar effect used on the first 2 seconds of this track.

That doesn't sound like comb filtering to me in the usual sense - sort of more like ring modulation.

This clip from YouTube is what it sounds like

I agree - Ring Modulation with some kind of EQ Attached. Comb Filtering is when Frequencies Collide and filter each out.
That would explain why I can't get close to that with the methods I've tried.

I think I can get "ring modulation" with one of the Eventide plugins I have.

Trying to recreate the guitar effect used on the first 2 seconds of this track.

What has long been funny is that it was recorded for the album "Houses of the Holy"......but left off and put on the next album. How many bands have ever left off the title track of an album....then stuck it on the next album ? Contrarian or what ?

Used the ring modulator native to Reaper.. I can see you guys are correct about the effect being a ring modulator rather than a comb filter (or any other effect I've tried).

Much closer to the tone on the record. Possibly he's using a wah pedal in addition to a ring mod ?

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14669029
More likely an EQ on the channel - and a whole lot less distortion - it's really a verge of breaking ups type of sound - the big sound comes from the
layering of parts.

Reactions: PLX
Back