How important is it (for a guy like me) to have a good sound card???

ino

I Don't need the midi sound to be great, just to play the piano and do the metronome beats.

I need good audio quality for my records, and I wonder how can a card be better than another for that purpose. I think I'll never use more than about 15 tracks at the same time, and I also need the midi to be accurate.

I have a sblive which came with the comp, and i get a fairly nice sound. Will a better card improve the sound of my music??? I think it won't do much, but with so many talk about soundcards... I never know...

My 1st post in the forum :D

an sblive is a pretty capable midi card, as far as onboard capabilities-the amps on it are not very good, but if you're burning your work to cd, those amps don't come into play in that process. as far as recording into the line-in-it can get a little dirty, but i've had some success in cleaning it up. my feedback would be to to try can get what you can out of it, and perhaps upload mp3's to let people on here take a listen, and then improve as necessary.

This is what I would do...
Put your SB up for auction !
Get yourself an Audiophile 24/96 for $150.00 minus what you make off your SB.
You will be glad you did...better drivers, better sound at 24bit, better performance, better conectivity with RCA connects, s/pdif, and midi.

Gidge said:
what type of music are you doing?....how much of it is midi?....

midi is just to stick around before recording audio, and help with song creation. I also use some organ and ensemble midi sounds for environment in some parts.

I'm doing metal and progressive stuff, cant describe it with words. I'll post some mp3 later on...

is that audiophile really good?

Sound blaster can have some nasty jitter problems expecially at the start of a track. My SB PCI512 can't even keep a steady beat in the metronome :P

There is also a lot of line noise from recording audio through a sound blaster. It's designed to play cheap heavily compressed sound for games... nothing else.

ino said:
I Don't need the midi sound to be great, just to play the piano and do the metronome beats.
First - just to clarify, midi has no sound - it is simply a command language.... it triggers events that "may" result in sound being produced by the receiving unit.

The Audiophile s/c has no sound generator on-board, it is simply a connection interface between your gear and the computer.

Re: Re: How important is it (for a guy like me) to have a good sound card???

Blue Bear Sound said:
First - just to clarify, midi has no sound - it is simply a command language.... it triggers events that "may" result in sound being produced by the receiving unit.

I know that, but each soundcard plays midi differently, and has different ways to produce the sound from midi module. I was saying that I don't need the s/c to play midi like and expensive roland synthetyser, just play it like the old sb16 :p

Back