How important is a producer/engineer??

kurtteej

This is just a 'curiosity' question. Since this is a home recording forum (i have been in and out for years), and i too have a home studio -- I wanted to know how important it is from a product perspective for you to have an outside ear to work with you on your released and marketed music?

Example -- I recorded some solo guitar stuff (3 or 4 parts) that I sent over to a friend who happens to be a sound guy and he cringed when he heard it. I gave him the original Sonar files and he really changed the way it sounded (it wasn't too bad actually).

Any thoughts on this?

Well, i think you might've answered your own question. I have seen some engineers take absolute shiiite and turn it into shiiite that doesnt smell so bad.

Producers and engineers are around for a reason. They make things better.

HAIL THEE, RECORDING ENGINEERS AND PRODUCERS!

(Disclaimer: I'm neither a recording engineer, nor producer)

They are a big deal. They help bands find their sound. They also help some bands make big arrangement changes. They also may throw in the one little arragement change that totally makes the song. They also can help you with a lyric or two....just in general, producers are very imporatant. Engineers are just as important....ESPECIALLY when the producer isnt an engineer. The engineer is the one who will take what the producer is saying...and make those sounds come alive. Self-produced records USUALLY (NOTE THIS DOESNT MEAN ALWAYS!) do not sound as good as records produced by an outsider. (MY OPINION) Listening to my bands old songs as compared to new versions/songs, they are much better with the help of a producer. We didn't need HUGE changes, we need the small things that really help out.

I have been thinking for a while now of going to a studio to record some songs. I'd like the experience, and I'm sure I'd pick up a lot about recording techniques, etc. So, I was researching places within a day's drive and found one website of a studio that specializes in taking someone's poorly written and poorly recorded song and fixing it. They keep the vocal track, but add all sorts of backing tracks, fix pitch problems, etc. I kind of laughed when I saw it, because the singer never even has to go to the studio. I don't know...The funniest thing, though, is listening to some of these studio's sample MP3s and they sound awful. Maybe the mix is great, but there's only so much someone can do with a crappy song and crappy musicians. Hmmm...maybe I won't hire a studio. Haha. That way I can keep blaming my mediocre songs on 'the mix'.

gmiller1122 said:
I have been thinking for a while now of going to a studio to record some songs. I'd like the experience, and I'm sure I'd pick up a lot about recording techniques, etc. So, I was researching places within a day's drive and found one website of a studio that specializes in taking someone's poorly written and poorly recorded song and fixing it. They keep the vocal track, but add all sorts of backing tracks, fix pitch problems, etc. I kind of laughed when I saw it, because the singer never even has to go to the studio. I don't know...The funniest thing, though, is listening to some of these studio's sample MP3s and they sound awful. Maybe the mix is great, but there's only so much someone can do with a crappy song and crappy musicians. Hmmm...maybe I won't hire a studio. Haha. That way I can keep blaming my mediocre songs on 'the mix'.
Whats the website? I want to laugh too.

well first of all, you need the title. Someone needs to be held accountable for producing a record. Especially when you got a lot of money invested in it.

So think of a producer as a funnel that channels all an artists energy, the record labels interests and public approval into a central location. The engineer is instrumental in the equation. It's important, but it's secondary.

Engineer's are replacable (most of the time), while producers are not so much because of thier involvment artistically.

Imagine telling someone other than Tim Burton to direct the first Batman Movie. Maybe say, the guy who directed the last Batman movie (the one nobody remembers). Scary thought, huh?

To further the question, how does one go about seeking out a producer that fits? The answer I've always heard is word-of-mouth. "Ask a band you're friends with," "Ask an entertainment attorney," so on.

I know this is probably a too absurdly big question to ask; that it's akin to asking, "How do you get a girlfriend?" ...there are a million ways.

So perhaps more specifically, those of you who have worked with producers, how did you come to meet them?

Don't laugh...but I swear to God the dude that produced my bands cd wrote songs for Michael Bolton in the 90s hahahahaha. BUT, he also played in an 80s rock band and played guitar on Ron Wood's DAUGHTER'S cd....along with Ron Woods. I hear Ron is a great cook. A friend of ours got the cd to him, and he contacted us one day saying that he liked the songs on our home recording. He said to keep writing songs and see where that led us. A few months, and a couple shows later, we recorded 14 songs in our friends basement and called the producer back and said, "Hey we've got 14 songs here...we were wondering if you would work with us?" He wanted to hear the songs, we told him we could really only afford to record three songs...so we dropped off the cd to him and met him and whatnot. He called us back after picking SEVEN songs. We ended up recording 7 songs live in the studio (we're a rock band...so that's what we do) and it took us about...3 hours including lunch. Then we spent random days for a few weeks doing vocals and guitar solos at his home studio. By the time we were done, we had 6 songs for our new EP and one song that we just weren't feeling.

I must say, I learned a WHOLE lot from the experience. We saved SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much money by practicing our asses off. We did drums, bass, and rhythm guitars ALL live in the studio. It only took us three hours because we practiced like this was our only chance to ever make a recording. If you don't practice and don't do a SHITLOAD of pre-production...it's going to cost you in the long run.

Living in Philadelphia, I'm VERY lucky that if you're in the scene...then the people you want to get your music will most likely get your music. We have grammy winner Dave Ivory about 45 mins from where I live, the producer I worked with about 15 mins from where I live, Philly's best manager's office about 40 mins away, and tons of great venues to play at. It will cost an arm and a leg to work with some of these people. I know I can't afford it...so try to save money anyway you can...but don't cut corners.

The best way to find a producer is to call the best manager in your local scene and ASK THEM who they would recommend as a producer. Get the producer's number and then call them and tell them what you're about and kinda write a bunch of songs and ask he/she if he/she would want to work with you. DO NOT SEND BAD SONGS!!! Make sure you have some really good material before you send it, because it might be hard to get a producer to listen twice to the material.

One more warning...be prepared to get your ass handed to you by a good producer...they are going to break your balls nonstop. BUT...in the end, you're going to have a MUCH better cd than you would have if he/she didn't!

My producer didn't break our balls...he just tried a bunch of different ways to get us to perform takes better.

**This is all just my experience...hope this helps!**

Good luck!

I agree when I recorded with my friend he made it llok so easy he just threw the track on and we would spit. Everytime it sounded clear and was mixed just right in minutes. When I bought my own equipment I struggled to find good mixing techniques, I would just do it over and over trying to find a better sound. I put a few post on here for some mixing tips and nobody helped. When I finaly got hold of my boy he showed me and in less then 10 minutes my shit sound alot better

Hey, I had the opposite problem. I've taken great 60's sounding mixes~(thats how I like them) to get mastered, and the guy made them sound like bloody Robbie William's!!! Since then Ive done all my own engineering, production and mastering.

I believe it sounds much better. If you wanna check out the songs I've mixed/mastered myself go to http://www.myspace.com/rohanforsale and go into my latest blog, all those songs are mixed/mastered be me. Please note though that I do have an eccentric style of production, so if you think something sounds wierd its meant to be like that.

Anyway, I'd love for anyone to check out those songs and tell me what they think, if you like my production techniques contact me through myspace and I can give you some tips.

Thanks. ROhan.

Back