How I Record Guitar - EQ Adjustments

STAT1STICK

I recently started using a new (to me) technique for EQing my guitars. To start, I have to decide if I'm going to use my Digitech RP1000 for the tone or Guitar Rig 5. If I'm using the RP, I'll run a channel to my amp and a USB channel to my computer. With the tone I have chosen to use on the RP, I will adjust the EQ on the amp to where it sounds good and just about what I want it to sound like on the recording. Then, after the track is recorded, I will add the Izotope Ozone equalizer and make 3 points of adjustment. The three points correspond with the EQ knobs on my Fender amp. The bass knob on the amp adjusts a low shelf EQ at 65 Hz. The mid knob adjusts a bell EQ at around 650 Hz. And the treble knob adjusts a high shelf EQ at 2700 Hz. The knobs are adjusted to 7, 5.5, and 4.5 respectively.

With the Izotope equalizer set identical to the amp, I can begin to fine tune the sound. To be honest, there's not much adjusting that needs to be done at this point. The sound just about matches what was coming out of my amp which is a good thing. Once the song is more fleshed out, there may be a tweak here or there to make room for the other frequencies of the song but, like I said before, it will be minimal if at all.

Do any of you do this? Have you tried a similar method? If you haven't, give it a try and see what you think.

Back