how hot is to hot old amp

lukeslim

Hi folks,

I have just purchased a little Aussie amp made in 1961 it is a Moody 496 its 4-5 watts very retro and desired Aussie maker.Ideal for recording it has amazing tone in a small package.Its a Great Blues Harp amp.

It Seems to run very warm to hot if you left your tuner on top of the amp it would melt:eek:.When you pull your lead out of the input jack it is very warm to hot.
Should i get it checked out and stop using it?

The amp is very small only about 4kg the ply construction is only 3/4" so the workings are not insulated from the top of the amp like say a fender etc.
Any input would be appreciated.
Cheers Luke

sounds rather strange... a 4-5wt amp that gets hot enough to melt things cant be right... but then it aint blown up yet either... dont know the amp myself so cant say for sure... but i'ld get it checked out by a good tech... especialy as you think it could be a collectable...

Yeah, get it sussed out - I'd hate it to fry so soon after the buy.
Hot is fine but melting things doesn't sound right.
Good luck

my used one got super hot and the tubes went out...they were glowing orange big time...like mango orange,,whooa..it was brite and waaaay to hot to be normal.

Hot enough to melt things probably means you are using a fire hazzard. Any tube amp will get pretty warm but yours sounds more than warm. It would be in your best interest to get it checked. If you like the sound of the amp, the cost of replacing the tubes would be a worthy investment.

I'd get it checked out to be safe. You don't want to damage the amp and more importantly, you don't want to burn your house down!

If it checks out normal ..... stick a fan back there.

Back