How does this look...

ChuckV

My room isn't a super amazing recording facility, but:

myRoom007.jpg

myRoom006.jpg

myRoom003.jpg

myRoom004.jpg

myRoom005.jpg

Just a bunch of random Pictures of what I've been using. I've been trying to get solid recording for a while, I'm finally getting more of what I want, but I'm like, super frugal. No mixer, just a lot of USB stuff, POD and a lot of stuff I'm comfortable with. I'd like to get some monitors. Those books on the ground are some the ones I've been using lately for my school project (the school's letting me record a whole CD of stuff for my last term.)

My main point of making this thread is, is it possible for me to succeed with an ultra cheapo recording area like this? Is it okay for me to just do everything direct with USB, try my best to mix by listening to other mixes through my speakers/headphones, use Adobe Audition/Cooledit to max and add effects and use things like EZ drummer? Am I in any way "Cheating" by using stuff like this? I don't feel like it, and I'm just wondering what people think, how "legitimate" is this. It makes me feel kind of "hardcore" thinking of what I've got to work with and what I want to do, I've made a few recordings for practice:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=189108693043C8E2
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=61A42010081F8ABB

ChuckV said:
My main point of making this thread is, is it possible for me to succeed with an ultra cheapo recording area like this? Is it okay for me to just do everything direct with USB, try my best to mix by listening to other mixes through my speakers/headphones, use Adobe Audition/Cooledit to max and add effects and use things like EZ drummer? Am I in any way "Cheating" by using stuff like this? I don't feel like it, and I'm just wondering what people think, how "legitimate" is this. It makes me feel kind of "hardcore" thinking of what I've got to work with and what I want to do, I've made a few recordings for practice:

There are hundreds of thousands of people recording music in their homes with similar setups. If your goal is to record your music without any distracting technical flaws then you have already succeeded.

If you goal is to be a rock star then good luck. That's more of a "some talent and an insatiable drive for self promotion mixed with a tremendous amount of luck" kinda thing.

It's absolutely elegant and sophisticated. I see your amp gets the best seat in the house! It's posh and stylish. I expecially like the juxtaposition of the beige drapes and blue walls! What a statement indeed! Candice Olson would be proud!

Actually it looks a lot like the corner of my room back in the day when I was hacking away with my Atari 800...

TexRoadkill said:
It looks like ten pounds of shit in a five pound bucket.

Why thank you ;)

TexRoadkill said:
There are hundreds of thousands of people recording music in their homes with similar setups. If your goal is to record your music without any distracting technical flaws then you have already succeeded.

If you goal is to be a rock star then good luck. That's more of a "some talent and an insatiable drive for self promotion mixed with a tremendous amount of luck" kinda thing.

No rock star intentions, I just look at everyone else's setup and think, is there anyway I can really make anything happen here...

Trying to learn, more, should probably spend more time lurking around here, thanks!

Looks like my son's room... :eek:

How many times do I have to tell you to clean this mess up! :D

Hey, what ever works.

ChuckV said:
No rock star intentions, I just look at everyone else's setup and think, is there anyway I can really make anything happen here...

You probably have better recording equipment than the Beatles did.........

I listened to the clips you posted they sounded cool. I would be afraid of hurting myself in your room though. :D

Looks a little cramped and a lot cluttered. Maybe I'm just used to having more room to work in. Apparently it's working for you so I wont say anything bad other than you do need to tidy things up a bit, if for no other reason than making dropped picks easier to find.

I couldn't work in a mess like that. I don't have the brain capacity these days to keep track of things. All that clutter would slow me down. Then again if that works for you then stay with it. It's all about what works for you.

Man.. how do you work in all that mess? That would drive me nuts... i suppose i am a neat freak.. :o)

Demi

Back