How Does Parametric EQ Work?

Landie

I don't understand when someone says "roll off 80hz on vocals" using Cakewalk Pro Audio 8.04. Can someone explain the procedure for this program. It is obvious that I don't have this concept. If anyone knows of a good website that has info on EQ & Compression I would greatly appreciate the help. Thank you all in advance.

"roll off 80hz on vocals" generally refers to applying a low-cut (aka roll-off) filter to a given track... has nothing specifically to do with Cakewalk or parametric EQ.

The low-cut filter is a high-pass, steep-slope filter that generally removes signal below the cut-off frequency of (usually) 80Hz. This removes a certain amount of muddiness from a track (especially vocals with very little low-frequency content).

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

For an Equaliser to be officially classified as Parametric it must have variable frequency and Q. In a true paramentric eq on each band you can sweep through different frequencies untill you find the area you want and them boost or cut it. How you boost or cut it is determined by the Q or how wide or narrow the boost/cut is - a very narrow Q is called a notch hence Notch filter for removing say 60hz hum. A boost/cut that lifts all frequencies above or below a set frequency is a shelf equaliser which is the typical High/Low eq in a two band system.

Hope this helps - it's all in my manual

cheers
John

Back