How do YOU tag your .wav files?

Chris.

I've tried a bunch of different ways and none of them seem to work.

I label them in nero, itunes, media monkey, whatever. Then I burn a cd.

But then when I load the cd into itunes, media player, whatever, it just lists them as "track 1" and itunes finds some random bands and compilations to call it.

Anybody know any programs or have any advice?

Chris ,

I have not found a tagging program for wav files. From what I understand , programs like EAC , Nero and other use some sort of database to compare the CD you want to rip to the CD's in the data base.
Mp3 files act differently from my understanding ,because the information about the song ,is attached to the individual file , hence the info is intact with the file as it's used in various players.

Stephen

But then when I load the cd into itunes, media player, whatever, it just lists them as "track 1" and itunes finds some random bands and compilations to call it.

Just rename them.

When you burn them to a CD you need to use CD-Text. CD Architect has this, I don't know if Nero does.

When you burn them to a CD you need to use CD-Text. CD Architect has this, I don't know if Nero does.

When I used Media Monkey (which people in other forums said worked) it asked for CD Text which I filled out. Still no luck. Even when I put it in my car stereo (which reads other cds and flashes the band name and song name) it pulled "track 1," etc.

EZ Willis. I can rename them just fine, but almost every band that comes in here wants their CDs to actually say their name and song names when they load them. I'd want them to, too.

Is it tracks that you are recording or is it previously recorded material from other artists?

If it's your stuff, you should (hopefully) have the option to save as a broadcast wave file within your DAW, and that will give you a dialog box for naming the track at mixdown along with a few other things.

When I used Media Monkey (which people in other forums said worked) it asked for CD Text which I filled out. Still no luck. Even when I put it in my car stereo (which reads other cds and flashes the band name and song name) it pulled "track 1," etc.

EZ Willis. I can rename them just fine, but almost every band that comes in here wants their CDs to actually say their name and song names when they load them. I'd want them to, too.

I think I remember reading the drive needs to be able to write CD text, but I'm not sure if that's true, wouldn't make sense to me.

Download the demo of Sony CD Architect and just try it to see if it works.

iTunes doesn't read CD Text anyway, AFAIK. Burn the in iTunes and tag them in iTunes before you burn and it should remember the CD on future insertions on that machine, though, and if it's a commercial CD being shipped, be sure to submit it to CDDB. That's how iTunes gets the song info for CDs that it didn't burn itself.

I think I remember reading the drive needs to be able to write CD text, but I'm not sure if that's true, wouldn't make sense to me.

Download the demo of Sony CD Architect and just try it to see if it works.

And lets add that Windoze media player doesn't recognize CD text, as far as I know/:o

Wow, this is probably the biggest pain in the ass in the world. I don't see why this won't work. I put it in itunes and added all the stuff and burned it WITH cd text from the itunes preferences. When I put the CD back in and read it with itunes it worked, but when I opened it with Media Monkey it showed "track 1, etc."

Then I downloaded CD architect and added CD text there, burned it, opened it in itunes and it's back to finding completely random band names and songs instead of what the actual names are...

This is completely insane how hard this is to do. Especially something you'd expect to be so simple...

Edit: Just took the one I burned in itunes out to my car and it read the song names and stuff. So I guess the itunes one works somewhat. The cd architect one didn't read names or titles.

Wow, this is probably the biggest pain in the ass in the world. I don't see why this won't work. I put it in itunes and added all the stuff and burned it WITH cd text from the itunes preferences. When I put the CD back in and read it with itunes it worked, but when I opened it with Media Monkey it showed "track 1, etc."

Then I downloaded CD architect and added CD text there, burned it, opened it in itunes and it's back to finding completely random band names and songs instead of what the actual names are...

This is completely insane how hard this is to do. Especially something you'd expect to be so simple...

Edit: Just took the one I burned in itunes out to my car and it read the song names and stuff. So I guess the itunes one works somewhat. The cd architect one didn't read names or titles.

do you need to set certain progs to READ CD-TXT instead of logging on to the CDDB?

Depending on what version the demo of CD Architect is, it may not actually write CD-TEXT. In version 5.1 you could enter in the song names in the program, but it wouldn't actually write it to disc as CD-TEXT. Version 5.2 added CD-TEXT.
And as people have said, Media player and others use online databases to pull the CD information. Yes, CDTEXT would have been easier...

Back