How do you set your recording volumes?

Berberman

I am using a MOTU 8Pre to record a full band using Logic pro 9. I use Logic's software mixer but I'm not very sure about the method to use to get the best signal, avoid his and clipping etc. How do you set your recording volumes?

I read that the recording signal on the software mixer should never go above 0db. OK, but do I set the input volumes on the MOTU 8pre so they're as hot as possible on the MOTU's led ? Then bring down the fader on the soft mixer until the loudest signal pegs at 0db

Last edited:
Great article and it makes plenty of sense....but for us newbies (atleast me)...it's the later mastering part of getting it louder later....my final mix (which i ensure you I have no idea what I am doing) once converted to mp3 or burnt to cd is so low i have to turn the volume up on whatever device just to hear it....... I don't expect you to teach me this but can you point me to an article that explains the basics? ( I'm sure thats still alot to ask....) I understand a lot of you guys spend years learning this stuff.....I know it's nothing to learn in one article..

Thanks. :-)

boomy bass makes the track sound soft

Getting a volume comparable to "pro" recordings is a major problem for most people starting out.

There's no "one-liner" answer to satisfaction in that department.

Proper use of compression helps, but the biggest thing I can think of that most people screw up is that they waste a whole lot of room on the bass being boomy. The bass should be as concise and tight as you can get it or it will take up way more room than it ideally could. And when the bass takes up too much room, there's not enough space left for the vocals and lead instruments.

Getting a volume comparable to "pro" recordings is a major problem for most people starting out.
99% of the time, it's because they don't understand what goes into getting that sort of volume. And they certainly don't understand when that final playback volume is established. SOOOO much damage is done along the way that when it finally IS time to worry about volume, it's too wrecked to handle it.

Sorry - Don't mean to rant. A few projects "on hold" right now waiting for mixes that weren't "volume-ized" already... :rolleyes:

Back