How do you remove vocals from a recording so that all that's left is a backing track?

If you have a normal stereo track on which you want the vocals removed, you can find applications that will go part way to removing the vocals. However, these are generally not satisfactory . . . it's a bit like trying to unscramble an egg.

You will be more satisfied if you look specifically for a backing track without vocals.

You do like the people who make the karaoke tracks: You get a talented band together to fake the song.

Or you get down on your knees and do what's needed to get the master tapes from the producer.

Computer's aren't magic...

A stereo track with vocals? It's all mixed together. What has been joined by ProTools...
At best, with one of the "vocal eliminator" programs, you'll get a hollow-sounding track with some leftover echo of the vocal.
That's how the vocals get 'removed' -- it's a phase/polarity mid-side trick to wipe the center channel.
Maybe for a cheap practice track, but not something I'd perform with for a paying gig.

A stereo track with vocals? It's all mixed together. What has been joined by ProTools...
At best, with one of the "vocal eliminator" programs, you'll get a hollow-sounding track with some leftover echo of the vocal.
That's how the vocals get 'removed' -- it's a phase/polarity mid-side trick to wipe the center channel.
Maybe for a cheap practice track, but not something I'd perform with for a paying gig.

This ^^^^ I've done it for my daughter and it's good for fun but not quality backing tracks.

Back