How do you record a song? What are your steps?

So many ways, it's funny. But a lot of my music isn't written until I'm creating the different tracks. At times record a sound check after micing the drums, and then come back months or years later to turn it into a song. Of course, more traditional means, too, like play drums for a few minutes, in what feels/sounds like a good pattern, and then make up bass and guitar around it. For the pre-written stuff I used to use the click-track religiously, if not laying the drum part down first, but soon I figured out when playing with myself (whaaat??) I don't need a click track. Not much of an answer, but you're right--it was fun!

"...everyone's workflow/creativity/songwriting/methods will be wildly different. I don't even always do things the same way from song to song. It's all about finding a workflow that gets your best performances and best tones..."

"...who knows if that's the way I'll do it on my next song...always different.

I must agree with you aaronmcoleman… there isn’t a correct or incorrect way of doing things… just different ways.
But despite the fact we all seem different in our approach to the recording moment, I guess we can see that the more or less common step is to start by some “percussion track”. That is something I always did, but sometimes I found myself thinking if it was the correct way.

Note that when I raised this thread, I was only referring to the recording way… and not the creative way. I guess that for that matter, it would be a nonsense to search for a formula… despite it would be cool to share our inspiration momentums (just like Manslick did).

soon I figured out when playing with myself (whaaat??) I don't need a click track. Not much of an answer, but you're right--it was fun!

I do understand you Pensacolian… I also play with myself :D (in fact, and I bet that the most of this users forum also are in that position :facepalm:).

Now seriously, I did found a cool expression the other day, when I was reading some stuff about home recording, something like:
“We come to find the end of the garage bands phenomenon… we know have bedroom bands phenomenon!”
With the job, the wife, and all the duties, I found very hard to keep a real band… and also, unfortunately, I’m working in a city very distant from where my previous band mates are.
Sure nothing can replace a rehearsal or a performance with more people… REAL people… and what wonderful things we can create when we work together with other souls with the same passion that ours… but I rather do this alone, than not doing it at all!!!

But... back on topic :listeningmusic:

we can see that the more or less common step is to start by some “percussion track”.
The time, rhythm and feel is so crucial to most songs, even if there are no drums or no percussion instruments. It's really noticeable when you play with vocalists or keyboardists that are used to playing/singing on their own. It's really hard for many of them to stick with a time or rhythm that everyone else can easilly stick to, even though some of them are often convinced their timing is perfect.
Although I've done it without on a few occasions, the overwhelming majority of my songs begin their recorded life with bass/drums, guitar/drums, bass/percussion or guitar/percussion. They tend to give the song some kind of shape. Even if the guitar/bass gets changed later or bits are added to the drums. It's crucial for me to have these elements in place. I think of them as the pavement that is necessary to walk on to get where one is going.

Recording

Hi
I think the order you record in is dependant on who is around from the members of the band.
Generally I record Bass first to get the groove. Then and often at the same time drums.
From there rhythum guitar or keys, depending who is there at the time. then Vox followed by Lead guitar.

However recording every member of the band to zero and not overly in the red, is probably the, most important thing to start with.
That way when you go back to mix you have good volume on every track.
You can always go back and boost sound but if your levels are set too low recording you just can't dial it up from there. You just have to redo it from the start.

I hope that makes a bit of sense to you, as everyone says it all an individual choice.
Too many people don't understand the starting point so I think it is great you are asking for advise in the first place.
cudos
BronwynH

For me, it just depends on what's forefront in the song. If the song is driven by the beat, the drums go down first. If the song is guitar based, then that's what goes down first. Etc... But usually, like mentioned above, the vocals are the main thing. Whatever you want to stand out most or best, is what you should get right first and make everything else work around that and FOR that! The main thing is, have fun...if it ain't fun, it ain't music. By the way, I never use click tracks. I use midi for that. I'll write what I want like a composer and make the system play that and learn the music midi's playing well enough to play along and viola, there's my recorded track. When it comes to the finishing touches: strings, ooh's, aah's, synthscapes, etc., sometimes I just leave them midi. Depends on whether the project is for my own amusement and amazement, or whether I'm going to use it...

The main thing is, have fun...if it ain't fun, it ain't music.
Of course the main thing is to have fun - if you can. I generally advise/encourage that myself. But "if it ain't fun, it ain't music" is way too absolute, simplistic, cliched and untrue. Many a time, a part may be really difficult to nail and may be no fun at all. Or someone playing a part may be a totally frustrating individual making for a really infuriating experience. But when it's all completed, one concludes that it was worth it, just. Great result that you treasure forever ~ but it wasn't fun !

the overwhelming majority of my songs begin their recorded life with bass/drums, guitar/drums, bass/percussion or guitar/percussion. They tend to give the song some kind of shape. Even if the guitar/bass gets changed later or bits are added to the drums. It's crucial for me to have these elements in place. I think of them as the pavement that is necessary to walk on to get where one is going.

Was always my feeling about it!
About the "fun" in the recording thing: well, usually I have a lot of fun, and I turn out to be very satisfied with the results. But I must admit that there are a lot of boring stuff that we all need to do, to make things work properly... even though the result is worth it!!! :cool:

Greg - where can i buy an "awesome" dial? does it have to be 10 to get the most out it or is it ok running it a bit lower at, like, 7-8? :D

If you don't know where the 'awesome' is on your DAW, you could always try turning down the 'suck' during mastering....

I'm a complete noob, and just mic up everyone with the mics going through to a multitrack interface, and hit record. Would love to know how you all manage to record each instrument on its own.

eg. If starting with drums, do you have the rest of the band/musicans playing along so the drummer can feed and bounce of the rest of his/her bandmates? But then, you then have to worry about bleed (if in a small budget place).

In fact, coudl someone give me some advice here please? I'd like to record guitar & drums combo in a small space soon, we both definitely feed off each other even with songs that are "set and complete". What would be the best approach here? Mic up drums and hit record, with guitar playing as well (but perhaps a wee bit quieter to help limit bleed)? Then from there record the guitar (using headphones with drum & light guitar track), and perhaps even re-record the drum track if necessary (drummer with headphones & guitar track playing) to eliminate any bleed.

Thoughts?...would really appreciate some advice here as it's something that stumps me quite a lot.

I'm a complete noob, and just mic up everyone with the mics going through to a multitrack interface, and hit record. Would love to know how you all manage to record each instrument on its own.

eg. If starting with drums, do you have the rest of the band/musicans playing along so the drummer can feed and bounce of the rest of his/her bandmates? But then, you then have to worry about bleed (if in a small budget place).

In fact, coudl someone give me some advice here please? I'd like to record guitar & drums combo in a small space soon, we both definitely feed off each other even with songs that are "set and complete". What would be the best approach here? Mic up drums and hit record, with guitar playing as well (but perhaps a wee bit quieter to help limit bleed)? Then from there record the guitar (using headphones with drum & light guitar track), and perhaps even re-record the drum track if necessary (drummer with headphones & guitar track playing) to eliminate any bleed.

Thoughts?...would really appreciate some advice here as it's something that stumps me quite a lot.

I guess it really depends on the system you are recording onto. For me, when I recorded my band I set up 6 mics around the drums, DI’d a guide guitar from an amp sim and a mic for guide vox to use up the 8 inputs I had available.
This enabled me to record the guide guitar without bleeding into the drum tracks – the guide vox were also recorded but were far enough away from the drums that there was no bleed onto the drum tracks. The volume from the singer was very low and turned up in the headphones to be heard.
Later at home I did a rough drum mix to stereo tracks and then put my bass tracks down.
Guitars x 2 were recorded properly at a later date using the stereo drum tracks, bass and guide guitar and vox tracks.
A proper vox take was done at a later date with lead vox and backing.
I then took it all home again and started mixing – ditching the guide tracks and stereo drum tracks.

Zeek

If I'm doing a fairly simple arrangement without drums, a click track or repeating beat (whichever works best for the job and person) is set up to play along with for guitar or piano, then the vocals and limited overdubs.

If I'm planning on doing a full production with drums, then I almost always do a pre-pro recording (to a click or beat) to scratch out most of the arrangement up until the end of the first chorus at least. This gives me an idea of how the song is going to sound compared to how I planned the production/arrangement in my head, so I limit mid song surprises. If I'm programming the drums with Superior, up to the end of the first chorus is enough generally, as I then begin programming the exact drum parts from the pre-pro recording and will either jam along on guitar to the rest of the song to ensure the drums are doing what I want with relation to the rest of the song. Once the drums are done, maybe with or without out fills at this point, I begin tracking. I actually tend to leave bass until after I've recorded guitars and vox, but not always. Then the overdubs begin with vocal layers, aux instruments etc...

If I have a real drummer coming in, the pre-pro is usually completed with at least the guitar and vocals all the way until the end. Then the drummer does his thing, I edit the drums up nice and tight, but never quantize, just by hand. Then just like before, the guitars, vocals, bass and overdubs.

I would say that's pretty standard for me.

Before I record anything I sit down and think "How would Justin Bieber record this song?"

Once I nut that out, it's all pretty clear.

Thank you so much for letting us know about this! I must say that you are a very dedicated person to have written a wonderful post like this! It is very useful to me. thanks a lot.

Before I record anything I sit down and think "How would Justin Bieber record this song?"

Once I nut that out, it's all pretty clear.
That's remarkable. It's exactly what I do. I think about how Just would get it done.........then I go ahead and totally ignore it and follow my nose.

Maybe already exists a thread like this, but I did not found it, so, for fun… and to compare our methods, and eventually learn in the process, let me ask you:
How is your method for taping a song? I mean, what are your usual paths? I’m sure it depends on many things, like music style etc, but let’s see.
Do you start by recording a guitar line (eventually with a metronome)?
Do you record the drums first?
Are the vocals the last thing you record?

My method:

After all the song is composed, and the lyrics written (sometimes, during the record I change a lot of stuff):

1 – Record a piano (strings) line, with a metronome playing (I actually record the metronome too), to be my guide track (I will not use it later on);
2 – Record the rhythm guitar, using my guide track to keep me in time;
3 – Record the Drums (or, in my case, edit them to the song, and synchronize them with the guide track. After that, I just erase the "guide track)";
4 – Add some piano (maybe), and some little things;
5 – Record the voice:
6 – Some lead guitar;
7 – Wait some days;
8 – Mix (add effects, volume control etc);
9 – Show it to my producer (my wife Eh, Eh, Eh);

So… share with us your secrets! ;-)

Audacity is a free recording program capable of a lot of things. You can do anything from recording a song to recording lines for a cartoon. If you've written a song, and need an easy way to record it, this article will tell you how to record your song with Audacity, and give it a professional finish.

Back