How do you move clips or tracks?

presto5

I wanna record a guitar track, duplicate it and move it over just a small fraction so I can get the stereo effect via panning without having to record a 2nd track. I tried but the smallest incriment moves it too much. Anyone know if there`s a way?

I wanna record a guitar track, duplicate it and move it over just a small fraction so I can get the stereo effect via panning without having to record a 2nd track. I tried but the smallest incriment moves it too much. Anyone know if there`s a way?

Hi presto5.

If I'm reading your post right then there's a way of getting the effect you want with a lot less hassle. Just have a play around with the "stereo field rotate" effect found in the "Amplitude" section of the effects found in either multitrack or edit view. When applied to your guitar track it will pan the sound from left to right, of course adjust settings to taste. "Staggering" 2 identical tracks will certainly give you a delay effect ( thats how they did it back in the analogue days ) but as you have found you cant move the second track in increments small enough for the effect your looking for. So again if I'm interpreting your post right you also may want to apply some delay from the effects section to the same guitar track. You will have much more precise control.

Hope this helps dude.

but as you have found you cant move the second track in increments small enough for the effect your looking for.

Sorry but that's just plain wrong.
Right click the track > scroll to "Clip Properties" > Adjust the "Time Offset" to your desired delay time.

An alternative method is to zoom in on the track until the timeline shows very fine increments (such as milliseconds.) Then right click and hold to drag the track left or right.

The more you zoom in, the more precise the movement/positioning can be.

Chanel goes barefoot with hippie chic cruise show

Clothes Designer Karl Otto Lagerfeld after his Chanel fashion show in St. Tropez, southern France, Tuesday, May 11, 2010.he wears a purple and navy blue striped jacket, lapped up the applause as the sun disappeared behind the oversized yachts moored nearby.(AP Photo/Joel Ryan)

Chanel goes barefoot with hippie chic cruise show

Clothes Designer Karl Otto Lagerfeld after his Chanel fashion show in St. Tropez, southern France, Tuesday, May 11, 2010.he wears a purple and navy blue striped jacket, lapped up the applause as the sun disappeared behind the oversized yachts moored nearby.(AP Photo/Joel Ryan)

if you perform an EQ sweep around the 500-800Hz mark you may clear this Lagerfeld whilst adding some punch to your St Tropez up without having to re-record the entire hippie chic.....

By far the easiest way is to right click the track and click "LOCK IN TIME"

now when you copy and paste that clip in any channel above or below it will be in the exact same spot as original

(edit) ....... i read this wrong......you DON'T want them in exact spot........nevermind

Back