How do you kill the Hummmmm?

Deen

Hi guys,

Many of you guys post about how to get good distorted guitar
tones. I've had succes dialing the tone I'd like to record using
the miced method and the amp direct out method. The only thing
that makes the sound crappy is the loud hummmmm that increases as I crank the gain. So what's the best way to
minimize if not eliminate this age old problem. At the moment
I'm trying to use plugin type noise reduction, but the amount
of noise redux entails a sort of phasing effect that alters the sound. Is there a perfect way to do this. I've been playing guitar a long time and I still wonder how Yngwie and Eddie can crank ther marshalls and record it hummless. It's a big mystery to me.

Do a search on http://www.google.com on guitar hum and you will be linked to many articles on this subject. The fixes run from the insanely simple to insanely expensive depending upon where the hum is coming from.

Good luck.

Ed

Thanks for the speedy reply man,

I will definitely check this out now.
I'll be back in a while.

Pickups make a huge difference. Short of switching to one of the out-of-phase pickup settings for single coils, humbuckers help a lot. Killing the power to everything that's not necessary helps too.

Yo Deeno:

Here is an idea you might want to explore to get rid of HUMMMMs.

I have this small but neat GK amp. It has an in/out buss that cuts out the speaker; thus, the signal goes in and out but no sound from the speaker -- no hummmms.

I don't know if that will work for you since I'm not a guitar player. I'm a keyboard person.

One day I had this friend stop in to do a bass line for a novelty tune I wrote and I ran his electric bass in and through this GK amp -- got plenty of sound in the headphones. Worked slick.

Just a thought I thought I'd toss at you. I'm sure many G-amps have this in/out type of buss.

Green Hornet :D :cool:

I'm using stacked humbucker single coils which
are quiter compared to real sincle coils. I've also
tried the recording out of my Marshall JCM 900.
But the humm is just unbearable. The tone is
great but the humm is way too loud. Any other
ideas.

Back