How do you go about improvising?

I think of it like taking a road trip to someplace I've never been. I have a map (the chords) and I know a few places I want to stop by for a visit (the chord tones). But, until I'm on the road I don't know what I'll find or where it will lead me. If I find myself getting lost, I look for the chord tones and that brings me back home.

I don't worry about trying to express what I'm feeling, that part will take care of itself.

Sometimes, I'll make a mistake and people will come up to me and say "Wow, that was cool! How'd you do it?" So, don't be afraid to go out on a limb.

First, sing it in your head or even out loud.

Then, play it on your instrument as you sing it.

Another thing... You'll need to woodshed with your instrument on specific chords. Take a G13. Take an afternoon to learn how the chord sounds and what sorts of sounds go good with that chord. You'll like it.

Good luck,

Steve
http://www.piemusic.com

ozraves said:
First, sing it in your head or even out loud.

Then, play it on your instrument as you sing it.

Another thing... You'll need to woodshed with your instrument on specific chords. Take a G13. Take an afternoon to learn how the chord sounds and what sorts of sounds go good with that chord.

This is sort of interesting, actually. This line of thinking is a perfect example of a pure "right brain" approach... going by feel and sound, etc. The same sort of place where people, upon hearing a Ebdim7 chord say "That just sounds sort of green to me..." I've always found that sort of mysterious.

The exact opposite of this approach ("left brain" if you will...) is having your knowledge of music and your instrument down cold. Example.... you know that it is a G13 chord. So.... the notes in that chord are going to be G, B, D, F, A, C, E. The most "stable notes" will be your G, D, and B. The others add "colour", so you really have a wide range of notes to choose from to draw the listener to both the basic flavour of the chord, and to the individual colours therein. The trick is resolving these "colour" notes.... resolve them to their nearest "stable" neighbour, and you won't go too far wrong. If you're REALLY up on things, you might recognize this sequence of notes from the G13 chord as being G mixolyidian.... so just go with that and you'll probably be fine too.

I suppose, ideally, you will have both "brain sides" working together.... imagine the possibilities!!

Chris

Chris Tondreau said:

This is sort of interesting, actually. This line of thinking is a perfect example of a pure "right brain" approach... going by feel and sound, etc. The same sort of place where people, upon hearing a Ebdim7 chord say "That just sounds sort of green to me..." I've always found that sort of mysterious.

The exact opposite of this approach ("left brain" if you will...) is having your knowledge of music and your instrument down cold. Example.... you know that it is a G13 chord. So.... the notes in that chord are going to be G, B, D, F, A, C, E. The most "stable notes" will be your G, D, and B. The others add "colour", so you really have a wide range of notes to choose from to draw the listener to both the basic flavour of the chord, and to the individual colours therein. The trick is resolving these "colour" notes.... resolve them to their nearest "stable" neighbour, and you won't go too far wrong. If you're REALLY up on things, you might recognize this sequence of notes from the G13 chord as being G mixolyidian.... so just go with that and you'll probably be fine too.

I suppose, ideally, you will have both "brain sides" working together.... imagine the possibilities!!

Chris

I can take it further than that. I had someone explain proper sight reading to me once. He pointed to some music. He asked, "What do you see?" I said, "C, A, D," naming off the notes. He gave me the newspaper. "Read this." I read, "The Bush administration is exploring a new if risky approach to deposing Saddam ..." He said, "How come you didn't read 't,' 'h,' 'e,' 'space,' 'b,' 'u,'...?" Much thanks to O.D. Webb, formerly of Stan Kenton's Orchestra, for schooling me.

It can be done. You have to develop your sight singing and play it as you sing it. You'd be singing internally of course. It's much easier for a monophonic instrument player to do this. It's a much loftier goal for a guitarist. I have had times when I've been able to do it.

Steve
http://www.piemusic.com

ozraves said:

I can take it further than that. I had someone explain proper sight reading to me once. He pointed to some music. He asked, "What do you see?" I said, "C, A, D," naming off the notes. He gave me the newspaper. "Read this." I read, "The Bush administration is exploring a new if risky approach to deposing Saddam ..." He said, "How come you didn't read 't,' 'h,' 'e,' 'space,' 'b,' 'u,'...?" Much thanks to O.D. Webb, formerly of Stan Kenton's Orchestra, for schooling me.

That's eloquent!! Love it!

Chris Tondreau said:

That's eloquent!! Love it!

I love the word eloquent! That must take some serious practice to be able to sight read like that. I used to sight read pretty well, but I couldn't hear it in my head like that!

Back