How do you GM reset?

C. Anthony

I've received some MIDI files I need to edit. I open them and then I reset my Korg X5DR to general midi. I start the midi in Cake and it plays all the wrong sounds. It's playing all bank A sounds instead of the General Midi bank. I look into Sysx view and if anything is there I erase it.
I reset , push start... and it still does the same thing.
I look in Edit view for the controller 0 and 32 followed by a program change ( which is the way you choose bank A patches) and none is there. I can't figure out why it won't play in GM mode. When I manually change the sounds it only works 'til I restart the song then all my changes are gone. Is there a GM reset sysex or controller I can insert?

I am not sure about a GM Reset but...
If you open the midi file, go to the track view and open track properties. On the right you'll see a box marked instrument, click it and define the type of instrument you are using. If it isn't already loaded, you can check on the Cakewalk website to see if it has been created (in downloads). That is another story, but let's assume it is there. Now you have define what "real musical instrument" (e.g., JV 1080, K2500 etc) you are playing. Then go to bank and patch (also in track properties) and pick your bank GM and Patch. You may have to do that for every track... I am not sure how/if that data is saved if you are not importing another Cakewalk file. That may work... if not, good luck!!

Thanks

Dude, thanks for the help. I did find the Korg instrument file , DL'd it, installed it and it opened up a new world for me. I was also having trouble with the Inerpolate command (the window seemed a little cryptic to me). I was trying to filter out controller #7 on seveal tracks but only for a few bars. I did it somehow but after many trial and errors. This prog is powerful but not so straight up sometimes. I was using Passport Pro 4 for MIDI for years and I got used to it. Anyway thanks again for the usefull info.
C.

Not that you asked this question... but

There is a difference between the filter and the interpolate command. Use filter if you want to "filter" out a certain kind of data. For example, if you open it up and want to filter out all sounds from c4 to c7 type those into the min/max boxes and hit enter. Those notes will be selected... then you can edit them however you want.... transpose, lengthen, delete etc.

Interpolate lets you swap data around. Suppose you were using 3 snare sounds and you decided they should all be on one snare. Open interpolate, select the range of note that contain the three snares and hit enter. Another screen opens up, in the note box enter the note number where you want the snare hits... put it in both boxes and hit enter again. The cool thing about interpolate, is that it will swap stuff (as an experiment... take a section of track, in the first box select all.. hit enter, in the next screen reverse the note ranges... g10 in min and c-1 in max, see what happens) Cakewalk has a lot of midi power... good luck

By the way, don't forget you can save your settings. If you consistently filter or use certain settings you can give it a name and call it up with just a mouse click.

Back