How do you get this "effect"

TripleM

Here is a link to a Fountains of Wayne song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDaywS37fWE

They have an effect - sort of a phaser sound I guess - that I'd like to use. It hits right on the first chord of the song, as well as other spots in the song.

I was wondering how to get it. I have Reaper, and I'm wondering if there is something in there that sounds about the same. I'm not a midi guy or anything like that, so it'd take me a long time to figure it out without help.

Anyway, is there anything in Reaper that does that? Or is there any other way to get the effect?

Thanks.

I don't know how you'd actually make a sound like that from scratch but my Yamaha PSR52 keyboard has a voice that sounds similar to that.

Maybe a heavy Flanger setting would do it if you messed with the settings?

Thanks Mr. Clean. Yeah a flanger gets you in the neighborhood, but I don't think it's going to sound exactly like that.

This is that sound on my keyboard that I thought sounded like it. (Techno Bass) With a Flanger on that and a Lo to Hi sweep across it may make it sound spot on. Obviously not so bassy but you'll hear what I mean.

View attachment untitled.mp3

If it's of any use, I can sample the notes you need and send them over. :thumbs up:

Yeah that's not bad. I have an old Casio keyboard somewhere at home - don't remember how I got it even. Don't know how to play keys, but maybe it has something similar. I'll check it out. Thanks Mr. Clean.

You could create it with a sound generator plug in. Would give you much more control.

Take a look at something like this: Free VST Plugins: The Best Free Frequency Modulation (FM) Synths!

You start with selecting what type of wave generation you want, then give its characteristics, then add in your effects (phase shifters, EQ, Amps) to get the complete sound. It is pretty fun, I am not an expert in it as this can be very addictive.

If you need more information, let me know and will be happy to provide, but this should start you in the right direct. Most synthesizers use this method to generate their tones, couple with real life waves for attack and trail off, etc. to give it more authentic sounds.

That's a standard mono synth sound from the old days, my old Korg MS20 did it with a couple of knob tweaks, so an FM synth should be able to get it close quickly

Thanks everyone. I have those FM synth plugins downloaded that DM60 linked to. I haven't had a chance to install them or try them. Also haven't had a chance to plug in that old Casio keyboard. Not enough hours in the day. But I'll get to it. Appreciate the help.

I been messing around with Turnado for guitar fx inside of reaper, Im prety sure you can dial that FX up using Turnado, use the filter FX block , cycle through the presets..in your track you have the guitar recorded..add the FX, touch the dial that has the filter fx and then add the envelope to the track..use the envelope to turn the fx on and off to taste.
2015-05-22_00h24_14.png.

Back