How do you get the sharp and big sound from slowdive, mbv

Flammable milk9

I been trying to mix sounds i been making but they sound so different and bad then slowdive and mbv. I am lost. And don’t know what to do after producing. The eq part is what messes me up.

A lot to unpack in 3 short sentences. If you are really at a loss to figure out why you are hearing, what you are hearing, perhaps take a step back and assess what your skill sets are.

There is a phrase I like to use. It's mixing not fixing. So what are you mixing and do those tracks sound great. Garbage in, and all that. Lets presume all your tracks sound great, there is a bit to mixing to make it all fit. EQ is just a tool to help you make things fit sonically.

If you are new to this, perhaps think about adding to your knowledge base. If you've got $5, Michael White (a pretty well known engineer and teacher) has a fundamentals of mixing course that is really good and worth way more than $5. Fundamentals of Mixing Course

Ah - never occurred to me they were the names of bands - I was thinking Maximum Bass Volume? Or, a slow reduction in volume maybe compression? Shows how thick I am.
EDIT - what's that odd roary, distorted sort of sheen they both have in the loud bits? That sounds dreadful?

What old school guys would call "turning up the suck knob" on purpose. It's common in a number of genre's. (amateur musicologist cap firmly on head)

From the article I linked.

"Upon Loveless’ release in November 1991, Kevin Shields feared that the album would be critically panned and that his two years of painstaking production work would go unappreciated. Fast forward to nearly three decades later and the album remains one of the most revered in rock history. It’s a record that’s murky, at times confronting, and often soothing. It defies all preconceived notions of how a four-piece rock band should sound like, and it rewards the listeners’ patience by revealing a new sonic detail with each repeated listen.

And don’t know what to do after producing. The eq part is what messes me up.
The answer that nobody wants to give is that you simply need experience and practice. Unfortunately, not everything is instantly solved with an "app".

If the "EQ part" is what messes you up, then you simply don't have the knowledge and experience to make a professional sounding recording. And, I might add, it's kind of insulting to people who have learned and honed this craft to think that it's just a matter of turning knobs aimlessly and expecting to get a result along the lines of experienced producers. If you don't know how to use something as basic as an EQ, the only thing you can expect is the results you're getting: " they sound so different and bad".

I don't even know what this means: "And don’t know what to do after producing."

Becoming good at this is not a one-week endeavor. Most of us have been doing this for years and still learning something new every day.

The answer that nobody wants to give is that you simply need experience and practice. Unfortunately, not everything is instantly solved with an "app".

If the "EQ part" is what messes you up, then you simply don't have the knowledge and experience to make a professional sounding recording. And, I might add, it's kind of insulting to people who have learned and honed this craft to think that it's just a matter of turning knobs aimlessly and expecting to get a result along the lines of experienced producers. If you don't know how to use something as basic as an EQ, the only thing you can expect is the results you're getting: " they sound so different and bad".

I don't even know what this means: "And don’t know what to do after producing."

Becoming good at this is not a one-week endeavor. Most of us have been doing this for years and still learning something new every day.
Careful you don't fall off that soapbox Random.

Careful you don't fall off that soapbox Random.
It's not a soap box. It's the truth. I never claimed that I'm a great producer, either. I made it clear that I'm still learning too.

I think my post was the most helpful one. Maybe even the only helpful one. But of course, feel free to keep telling him what he you think he wants to hear. :)

It's not a soap box. It's the truth. I never claimed that I'm a great producer, either. I made it clear that I'm still learning too.

I think my post was the most helpful one. Maybe even the only helpful one. But of course, feel free to keep telling him what he you think he wants to hear. :)
Dude, why so hostile? You can't bash someone over the head and think you'll have any influence. I very much doubt I told the OP what they want to hear. If he reads the article on how MBV produced their album, it took 2 years to engineer. Instead of reverb, they layered more than a dozen vocal tracks together. A ton of painstaking work went into it. If the OP reads what I've written and this article, they'll get it.

Dude, why so hostile? You can't bash someone over the head and think you'll have any influence.
Nobody's being hostile here but you. I didn't bash anyone over the head. I gave him the truth. You know it, you just think treating someone who doesn't even know how to use something as basic as an EQ with kid gloves is helpful. It's not.

Get over yourself before you fall off that high horse.

MBV produced their album, it took 2 years to engineer.
Yes, 2 years. And someone who doesn't know how to even use basic tools is wondering why it "sound bad and different". Like I said, keep treating him with kid gloves and spoon feeding him useless information. That's really helpful. :)

Last edited:
Nobody's being hostile here but you. I didn't bash anyone over the head. I gave him the truth. You know it, you just think treating someone who doesn't even know how to use something as basic as an EQ with kid gloves is helpful. It's not.

Get over yourself before you fall off that high horse.
I don't know if you've noticed the trend where new members join, ask a question and never seem to return. I wonder why? These are people who just like us, didn't know crap and had to learn. This forum's intent was to be a place where noobs could get help and learn. I really miss what this place used to be. I learned a lot here. I'm trying to give back. Why are you here?

Reverb will be key . . . and it might be tricky. I like how the vocals are deliberately buried and muffled on "Souvlaki."

I don't know if you've noticed the trend where new members join, ask a question and never seem to return. I wonder why? These are people who just like us, didn't know crap and had to learn. This forum's intent was to be a place where noobs could get help and learn. I really miss what this place used to be. I learned a lot here. I'm trying to give back. Why are you here?
Nah, my response was great. Get over yourself. Nobody crapped on anyone. You're rather sensitive, aren't you? That's so cute. :)

Newbies have been doing drive-by's here for years. You're going to try to blame that on me for giving a great, honest answer? Sorry man. That's weak.

By the way, I have a friend who wants to know how he can get his music to sound like "Dark Side of the Moon", but he's not sure how to use an EQ. Any tips? :)

Nah, my response was great. Get over yourself. Nobody crapped on anyone. You're rather sensitive, aren't you? That's so cute. :)

Newbies have been doing drive-by's here for years. You're going to try to blame that on me for giving a great, honest answer? Sorry man. That's weak.

By the way, I have a friend who wants to know how he can get his music to sound like "Dark Side of the Moon", but he's not sure how to use an EQ. Any tips? :)
I agree with you

Back