How do you get over being sick of your song...

I have put down and picked up one of my songs many, many times. I started it in 1987. It's now to a point where I like it again. I edited it and then, I even put back stuff that I was too judgemental about earlier. It's ok now b/c I've learned to write better over the years, so the best edits are the last few. But now it's done. And it isn't even a great song, just an average song.

The reason for that is b/c it is limited and I don't want to loose the whole thing, it just might as well be an entirely different song. So then I write a new one with the ideas that I have that are more up to date than that old one. There's only so much you can do to a song before it actually is a different song. And if it becomes a different song, then you have 2. And if the old one isn't so good, but the new one is better, then you have 2, and you keep the new one. What the f am I talking about? blah blah blah, I think I started out with a point, but it's long gone. I must have learnt this from a buch of college professors.

Ok, I have a song. I was also sick of it. One good thing is that it got good response when I played it live. That made me a LOT LESS sick of it, so try that. Or post it here or something. You won't get it ripped apart unless you request it. Then, if you edit it, you can re-post it and most likely, people will say that they like the improvements. Hey sick of something, that's why we're here. Why do you think I'm typing instead of writing lyrics at the moment? I'm sick of that song.....

never had this

I will ponder this may be your looking for the killer hit and or its not your kind of thing. I find if others like it ,Its usualy a good sign
your looking for the no fillers only killers which is understandable.
don't give up I like all my stuff even the shit or try a collaboration and see how it sits ................gary

I hate 'em when I'm done, too. Even when they're good. I hate em for whatever reasons... too this, not enuf that. I'll bet even the Beatles got sick of thier stuff.

Back