How do you copyright a record label name?

SCI

I was wondering how you create a label name dfo you just call your stuff that? OR DO U NEED TO CHECK IF SOMEONE ELSE HAS USED IT? COPYRIGHT IT ETC…

HELP ME PLEASE.

1……
SCI……..

I don't think it's any relation to copyrighting..

I'm not too sure, but I think your probably looking to trademark it and register it as a business, to make it "yours"..

You don't, its a Trademark. To obtain a Trademark, you must use the mark in commerce. The mark can be a name, a drawing or a combination. Once you have used the mark in commerce you are eligible for registration. That is done through the United States Office of Patents and Trademarks. In the meantime, the main issue for ownership is prior use. Registration does not grant any ownership rights, it is merely evidentiary. It is proof that you were first to use the mark. Prior to obtaining registration, you can write TM in a circle next to your name which places the wordl on notice that you are claiming this name or sign or whatever as your Trademark. Then you should register. If you want more information on the registration process, you may email me at JWLAWPI@AOL.COM of at MONACOENT.BIZ.

Anyway, once you obtain registration, you can then use the symbol r in a circle which indicates that the mark is registered. Again, use is what defines ownership and registration is merely proof of use. Priority in time is what truly defines who owns a mark and so therefore, the main function of the registration is to make an official record of when you began using the makr in commerce and when you began claiming ownership. Then anyone who attempts to use the mark after that date will be infringing and you will have proof of the infringement.

Hope this has been helpful.

To provide "evidence" of using the name from a certain time and going forward, you can simply file a fictitious name statement at your local county recorder's office. Fees vary by county. I've found the folks there very helpful for a couple of businesses I've done this for. This is the procedure for what's known as "DBA," or "doing business as," which you need complete to enable ppl write checks to the business name anyway.

THEN, sometime down the line, you can pay the bux to do trademark. For that, I think the search fees -- to see that another like biz entity doesn't have the name you want to use -- are what'll get ya (statewide, nationwide, international ... it adds up).

...... Damn, I just noticed you're in the UK. Don't know what the laws are there and if there's a similar "fictitious name" procedure, but you might want to look into that.

Back