How do you control the volume of your Active studio monitors?

So how DO you control the volume of your Active monitors?

• With a mixing board

Votes: 97 49.2%
  • With a passive preamp

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • With my computer's audio output faders

Votes: 45 22.8%
  • other...

Votes: 50 25.4%

• Total voters
I just found this article:
http://www.soundstage.com/articles/pete02.htm

Down toward the bottom he pretty much confirms what you are saying, but also says there is a *slight* S/N improvement with the fixed series, variable shunt design as opposed to the passive potentiometer design.

BTW, does anyone make stereo pots with good tracking, or is a stepped attenuator really the only way to go if you want to get close?

Interesting article, although right off the bat he gives the wrong definition of compression...

I wish I knew more about this to judge the validity of it. Seems like something I've been looking for for some time now.

Slackmaster 2000

i set it up so i can use the control room knob on my mixer.

but i'm lazy and just have the sound card fader on my second (video)monitor and do it that way.

Save yourself the head aches and just get a mixing board. I've listed some below which are relatively cheap if you still have less than $100 to spend.

I have the EURORACK MX602A myself and I find it to be a very reliable and handy piece of equipment for my small setup, but there are other mixer sold by behringer that are still cheaper.

Can find theses mixers for less than $100 on ebay or at some online store.

http://www.behringer.com/MX602A/index.cfm?lang=ENG
EURORACK MX602A
6-Channel 2-Bus Mixing Console
Our MX602A takes compact mixing a step further, offering audio quality and flexibility you’d never expect in such a miniscule package. With two mono mic/line and two stereo channels, all with great-sounding 3-band EQ’s, a 2-track input and output, phantom power, phones output, balanced inputs and true main mix and control room outputs, it’s equipped to handle the most demanding of situations where few inputs are required. And thanks to its ULN circuitry, INVISIBLE MIC PREAMPs and impeccable construction, it’ll deliver professional results every time.

EURORACK UB502
http://www.behringer.com/UB502/index.cfm?lang=ENG
It may be small, but the UB502 features the same state-of-the-art Invisible Mic Preamp (IMP) and the same Ultra low-noise (ULN) design for highest possible headroom as its larger brethren. Its one mono channel plus 2 stereo channels with a 2-band EQ on the mono channel make it ideal for use with fixed audio installations as well as keyboards, samplers and computer application. Hobby musicians and video makers will also find use for this ultra-compact mixer.
MSRP = $54.99

http://www.behringer.com/MX400/index.cfm?lang=ENG
MICROMIX MX400
Ultra Low-Noise 4-Channel Line Mixer
MSRP = $34.99

Despite its ultra-compact size, this 4-channel line mixer is big on features! It yields the highest sonic quality at all output levels, boasting ultra low-noise 4580 operational amplifiers for outstanding audio performance—the same op amps found in its much bigger brethren. Expanding on the capabilities of standard-size mixers is where the MX400 does extremely well, for example as a sub-mixer. If you are running short on available channels on your “big” mixer and need to bring the output of three different keyboards into your mix, you can simply connect them to the MX400, work out the keyboard mix, and connect the MX400’s output to a single input on your main mixer.

It will catch your eye because it’s cute as a button, but you’ll want to own one because of what it can do for your performance.

oh btw I'm not affliated with behringer. I'm sure there are other company with similar mixers, but I just to lazy to look any of them up!!

Good luck

Nevermind I didn't relize you were building a control device. Ingore previous 2 post and thread was really old. :eek:

:confused: :D

i currently output from the main outs to the monitors, and control monitor level with the master fader

however, as soon i get my ass to the store for a couple TRS cables, i'll be using the control room outs from my mixer so that i can adjust the monitoring levels but still keep the master fader @ unity

I had the same problem, and my soloution is this.
I inserted a behringer compressor between my output of my HD24 and the active monitors, set the ratio to 1:1 (no compression) then simply use the output level knob (volume knob) to adjust volume as needed.
Oh yeah, i coupled the channels together, to have the same control on both channels.

ambi said:
What do you use to control the volume of your Active studio monitors? If none of the above options, what do you do?

OK, so I don't actually use active monitors. I use a Shallco stepped 10K pot between the soundcard monitor output and power amp input to calibrate my monitor gain. The pot has 1 dB steps from 0 db down to -19 dB, plus off. I had it custom made by Shallco. Just talk to Paul, the engineer, and tell him what you want.

My sound card always operates at full volume on the digital settings and the monitor out control is set to a calibrated setting and left there at all times.

I also hang a pair of VU meters off the fixed record output of the sound card, using an old distribution amp to calibrate the signal to the VU meters when playing a -20 dBFS test tone on the DAW. That is, unless I'm running that signal to my 2-track mix deck. My 3M M-23 has big 4 1/2" Simpson VU meters on it, so, one way or another, the record out signal goes to a pair of VUs.

Cheers,

Otto

I use the Presonus Central Station. It's a speaker switcher, plus volume control, metering, and lots of other useful features. It connects easily to my DAW via a TOSlink cable.

SonicAlbert said:
I use the Presonus Central Station. It's a speaker switcher, plus volume control, metering, and lots of other useful features. It connects easily to my DAW via a TOSlink cable.

Hey, SonicAlbert:

Does the Central Station master gain control have 1 dB gain steps for the range from 0 dB to -20 dB? I couldn't tell from the website.

Thanks!

Otto

OK, I mentioned that my monitor output runs through the Shallco stepped pot. I'm using an M-Audio Omni I/O box that came with a Delta 66 card. Along with the PCI audio interface and S/PDIF, it has the console master section functions I need: the monitor and recorder outputs, along with two separate headphone outputs.

The Shallco pot is added onto the monitor output to give precise control over monitor gain once the monitor output level control is calibrated using an SPL meter and a reference audio file.

Cheers,

Otto

Back