How do they make that sm58 sound so good?

db51

I know many big rock acts use sm58's when playing live...It's a cheap mic, I've got one, but I've never been close to having it sound like theirs sound on some bootlegs I have...Yeah, I know it's got a lot to do with the performer, but let's suppose I'm good :)
What kind of preamp do the big acts plug these 58's into when they play live? Do they generally use the mixing desk's preamps or do they use studio stuff like Neve's & API's?
Same for the effects used...Do many artists use big bucks lexicon verbs and compressors worth more than an average homerecordist's setup when playing live? I'm talking about the big rock acts here, the ones who fill stadiums, not your local band down the pub :)
If anyone has any idea what a typical rockstar-chain looks like (as in sm58--->pre/comp--->mixing desk-->reverb.....) I'd be really interested!
Thanks

If you can find a copy of the monthly publication 'Pro Sound News', they have articles on just that. I believe they have tables of currently touring bands and there stage setups and FOH. Pretty cool.

The online link to that publication is www.prosoundnews.com

Thanks for the tip, but I'm not in the US, and I've got no idea where to find 'Pro Sound News' (never heard of it)...Didn't find anything on the website...

Yeah, on a related note: If you're pushing 1kHz-3kHz for main vocals, what's a good "default" (read: idiot's) EQ for the harmony backups? Same? Opposite?

We ran into this tonight, thought I'd ask...

Back