How do these drums sound?

MaximumMetal288

I've been trying to get the basics of drum recording down for a while, and I think I might almost have it. This song is for my brother's band and its heavy metal, so I am trying to get a good click out of the bass drum. Right now I have a Shure PG48 on the bass drum, the resonant head is off, and the mic is on the beater side. The snare has a Shure Pg58 on it, and that gets all the other stuff as well.

I am really happy with the bass drum, but the snare could maybe use some work. Any feedback is welcome...

here is the song

How would I go about getting the low end back? I'm trying to get a "clicky" heavy metal bass drum sound so I tried to decrease the low end. Am I going about this wrong?

Before you get into the "clicky" thing, remix the drums from scratch. Compare the overall eqing of the drums to a song you're familiar with. You're not even in the ballpark on this mix.

Did you only use two mics? You should use more mics. Try two on the kik, 2 on the snare, 2 OHs, a couple a tom mics.
At minimum use 1 kik, 1 snare, 2 OHs and 2 tom mics. Hihats are usually picked up by any mic pointing in any direction!

Way too much top end, if there is a mic on the hi-hat you should lose it,
the bass drum isnt tuned deep enuf, and theres not unuf bass in the toms.

mic help

put the bass drum mic inside the bass drum pointing at the beater. to get the click you should probably use a patch of some sort with a wood beater.
you should probably buy just one other mic and put it above the kit so it picks up the cymbals and toms a little. if you are at a loss for cash, try moving the snare mic into this position to pick up everything else and the snare.

Herm said:
A bass guitar would help.

yep i agree with herm. no bass guitar really hurts this recording, it may make a huge difference for your sound, but overall it is pretty thin. I would say the click sound works better for like speed metal where you need that definition. but this type of drumming i think could use a fuller sounding kick to help fill out the sound better.

nice jam though, sounds like you had fun doing it. (although how could i tell that by just listening??) i must have good ears. did you have fun ? it sounded fun.

out
metalJ

Back