How do my drums sound?

Kerfoot32

Alright I had another thread last week and I got some good feedback and I realized my drums need the most work. Here's a clip of the best drum sound I've been able to capture so far (ignore the singing in the background lol):

raw drums by Kerfoot32 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Here's another song:
http://soundcloud.com/kerfoot32/little-miss-perfect-raw

Not perfect I know but what needs the most work?

My room is a large wooden barn. The drums are in a corner but it's very very open in front of the drums. There's also a huge bunk bed right next to the drums.

wallwallwallwallwallwall
w
a drums bed
l drums bunk
l drums bed
w drums bunk
a
l
l
openspacelotsofspaace

Should I build some kind of absorbant wall/screen to stick in front of the drums? Should I hang duvets between the drums and bunk bed? Does my mic placement sound bad?
I'd appreciate anything to point me in the right direction. Thanks a lot guys.

Last edited:
You're getting there. The drums seem to be lacking a certain punch and clarity. Believe it or not, I'd recommend to hit the drums harder. Drive that kick in and crush that snare - you'll get a much more snappy and responsive feel to your recordings that way.

Alright thanks. Anyone else got any advice? How does the baffle sound? Will that help kill the reflections I'm getting from the room or will that make my drums too boxed in? Thanks.

Not sure how you miked your kit, but it sounds like there is a lot of space between the mic and the drums. Is this the case? What type of mic technique did you use? I can definitely hear the room in this recording, properly placed absorbers would be helpful too. Something I just noticed too is that the cymbals are much quieter than the rest of the kit, usually its the other way around. Knowing your mic technique will help to visualize what you may need to do different. Overall, its not that bad though, much better than my first drum recordings, thats for sure.

It would be easier for a bass eared guy like me to gauge the drums in the context of some sort of mix with other instruments. I don't hear enough of the toms in their meaty glory and I'd be interested in how the kick would cut through with other instruments there.

What baffle are you referring to?

I agree. It sounds like all distant mics. I'd also be interested in your mic placement and what you mic'd how.

In the OP I asked if I should make some kind of wall to put in front of the kit. Maybe start with plywood and add blankets?

The snare is close micd with a sm57. 3 toms are close micd with sennheiser e604s. Shure beta 52 right in the bass hole. OHs is a spaced pair of large diaphram condensers. They're basically right next to the cymbals maybe 8 inches above them. Room mic is a small diaphram condenser (at2010 i think) about 2 feet in front of the drums at roughly the same height of the ohs.
Thanks for all the responses guys. Drums seems to be my biggest tracking issue and I'm really trying to tackle it this week.

Here's a song I recorded if you want to hear the drums with guitars and stuff:
http://soundcloud.com/kerfoot32/little-miss-perfect-raw

Last edited:
Still looking for an answer. I've been reading about acoustics. Are the drums in the corner a bad idea or will they be fine as long as there is something reflective around them? Bass traps behind them maybe?

Back