How Do I Use Compression?

Jude2010

okay my aim is to get louder and more defined vocals and by not just turning up the gain. I want to know how to properly use compressor but how do i start
i just need to grasp the basics like what the threshold, ratio and attack mean how do i use them to get louder and more defined vocals into my mix

thanks in advance :)

very carefully... very carefully.. if your compressing in your DAW, it doesnt matter if you $%#@ up because you can always undo it, but if you have a rack compressor, be very careful. if you overcompress then you have %#@ed your track.

Threshold defines the level above which processing takes place.

Ratio determines how much the signal is lowered when it rises above the threshold.

Attack is the speed the compressor reacts to a signal rising above the threshold.

Release is the speed the compressor reacts to signal falling toward the threshold.

Knee is the region around the threshold where the signal transitions from unaffected to compressed. Soft knee means the transition is more gradual.

Gain lets you turn the whole level up after the louder parts have been compressed.

So, make an initial guess about how much compression you will need and set the ratio. Then lower the threshold until you start hearing a change in the dynamics. When you have the levels controlled the way you want them start adjusting attack and release to fine tune the initial transients and decay of the signal. Adjust the gain to get the level sounding similar to the signal with no compression. Repeat until the sound is how you want it.

Set the ratio super high and mess with threshold until you can hear a difference then play with attack and release to see what they do. His will give you an idea of hat the controls do. When actuall setting them do the same just get the attack where you want it then the release then lower the ratio.

Here's a simple way to think of it. Compression makes loud sounds quieter and quiet sounds louder so that everything ends up sounding the same volume. Now this is a very simple way to put it, but it is a place to start.

aaronmcoleman gave a great description, but to make it a little simpler:

Ratio: How much compression is applied, the higher the ratio, the more likely everything has the same volume (Loud gets quiet, quiet gets louder)
Attack: How fast the compressor reacts to loud or quiet and brings them to an equivelent level.
Release: When the compressor lets go and lets the signal return to it's uncompressed level.
Knee: You can set the compressor to appy more compression the louder (stonger) the signal gets. On a graph, it makes a curve and where it bends is called the knee. Sharp bend you get strong compression at that point, gentle bend, the compression is less aggressive.
Gain: Like mentioned, raises the entire volume.

Best to play with it and get a feel for what it does. Also, a lot of compressors sound different and can color the sound in a pleasing (or horrible) way. Take the time to experiment. Compression can make a track great, and poorly used, can ruin it as well.

Good luck and welcome!

Back