How do I use compression on my VF-160?

guitmartiman

I've been trying to figure out for years how to use compression, but I haven't been able to figure it out yet. If I understand (at least partially) the theory of compression, it should allow me to adjust the dynamics of a signal so that I can raise the volume over all without it causing distortion. My VF-160 has a built in compressor, but no matter what I do with it, it doesn't seem to affect the signal at all. A number of years ago I bought the imfamous Alesis 3630 compressor and basically had the same experience with it. Can somone please direct me to a book on "Compression for complete idiots." I'm not an idiot, but for some reason, I don't get it when it comes to using compression.

I recommend Home Recording for Musicians for Dummies by Jeff Strong. The section on compression also has suggested settings for various applications as starting points. The best use of compression is so subtle that it isn't apparent--unless one is seeking to use it as an effect like vibrato or something along those lines.

Let's say you're doing a mixdown... Hit shift-compression. The compressor window opens up. The Threshold tells you how many db below 0 the compressor will start to impact the sound. So at -25 db, the compressor starts to act as signals louder than that come into play. The ratio 3:1; 4:1; etc., tells how much the signal louder than the -25 db is squashed down. The attack in milliseconds tells you how fast the compressor will act on the signal. Too fast and you'll take the zing out of drum hits.

So -- do a pretend mixdown and turn on the compressor (make sure the upper right hand icon says "on" not "off"). You can turn it on by hitting the "yes" button. Use your up/down arrow button to toggle through the menu options. Play back your song and make adjustments on the various parameters, watching the Master levels change, listen for the differences. If the compressor is on, you will hear a major difference upon the adjustment of the threshold and the ratio. If you don't hear a difference then it's probably not on. Compression helps if you have a wide dynamic range of levels on a song that really need to be reduced. Otherwise, if you can get away without compression, you should. Try using a threshold of -10db and a ratio of 2:1 or 2.5:1.

Hope this helps. Compression is not my forte.

Thanks Bill. That really sounds helpful. I'll try it when I get home. I may also buy the book that Yeshuasfan recommended. I don't know why, but a practical application of compression has just eluded me up to this point. I've been able to get along without it up to now, but I think I could really use it at this point.

I've been working on a project for a friend, and the dynamics in the vocal on one of the songs is such that I can't get enough over-all volume from that track to balance with the rest of the mix. I need to be able to boost the volume on the vocal track without it clipping on the loudest parts. This seems to me to be a perfect application for compression, but as I've said, I haven't been able to discern any difference when I try to apply it. Thanks for your suggestion.

compression

Compressors are an effect that is usually run in-line in the main signal path. They make a subtle change in the sound of the entire system that amounts to "taking the edge off". There are a lot of technical descriptions for what they do, but my best description is to say that they do just what the name implies. They squash (or compress) the sound together to create a more compact and clean sound. Be careful with these, they can be used for either good or evil. Set to a moderate level, they can add to the quality of your overall sound, but set too high, they can take the life right out of your performance.

the expander function is what makes the mix louder, not the compression, most compressiors have a expander and noise gate also...

multi band compression

the idea behind the multiband feature is that it lets the compressor work on on several frequency bands independently. Say you have a loud kick drum in the mix that you want to compress. If you use a single band compressor the compression from the kick drum will reduce the volume of the guitars, vocal, cymbals, and all the other frequencies everytime the compressor reduces the volume of the kick drum. This causes the classic pumping sound you get from poor compression technique. A multiband compressor will compress the kick drum freqencies while leaving the other frequencies alone. Elsewhere in the song there might be some loud vocal peaks or obnoxious cymbal crashes and the compressor can take care of those without lowering the volume of the bass. You can adjust the freqency ranges to allow you to optimize the the way the compressor works.

Compression

Let's remember that the compression has to be turned on on the unit as Billisa said. But, if you're trying to use the channel compressors (either tracks 13/14 or 15/16), they have to be turned on (and only one pair can be on at a time ... but, the Master channel can be on any time you choose) in the setup area. Press the setup button and scroll down to channel compression (or something obvious like that as I'm not in front of my VF right now) and turn on the channels you want to use the compression on. Then use the shift+high eg keys to select the compression screen and scroll to the appropriate selected channels and turn them on. I find it easy to test the compression by raising or lowering the ratio to its extreme. Then you can adjust inside these area to detect your compression tastes. Hope this furthers your understanding. This is an easy compressor and should require no books. With that said. I second anything that someone suggests as a reference for whatever you don't understand (eq, effects, compression, etc...). Just let your ears help you out, too. They're an excellent tool ... and free!!! Kirk

Thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions. I have now used compression successfully on my vf-16 and am excited about the results. I now understand that you can't just turn it on in the set up menu; you also have to turn it on in the compression window. The difference in sound is amazing. Thanks again!

Back