How do I stop the low noisy hiss in my recordings?

MusicManiac

Hi all,

I am using a Rodes NT1 Mic into a Mackie mixer into a lynx one card into samplitude recording software.

There is an almost inaudible hiss in the background.
I can't hear it very well but it bugs me. It is very low and sounds like a tv when there is no signal. How do I prevent this?

Thanks.

A hiss that low is nothing unusual, but you might be able to get rid of it. However, that means that you have to find the cause.

First, record without anything plugged into your soundcard. Is the hiss there? Then it's the soundcard. Plug in the cable. Hiss? Then it's the cable. You may get hum if you have a loose cable, don't mix that up with the hiss. Then plug in the mixer, and well, you get the point. PLug in things one at a time and find the source...

Depending on the source, you may or may not be able to make anything about it.

I hope this doesn’t sound to cheesy but what are you monitoring with? If you’re like a lot of us on a budget and you’re just using a good stereo amp/receiver, even though you may have it set so that it’s not supposed to be picking up radio stations, there may be some bleed through. Also, if you’re listening through your amp speakers while recording instead of headphones, even if you’re not using a mic there sometimes is interference of some kind. I think it’s caused by the power amp and the computer monitor being to close together usually (RF Interference.) If you’re recording like that, you might try doing the same recording once with the speakers turned off and see if that makes a difference. I thought the previous poster had the right idea for tracking down the source if you have to get more involved though. Could be a lot of things. I’ve found RF Interference to be my biggest culprit in a computer based set-up though. It pays to move your power amp as far away from the monitor as you reasonably can.

are you sure the hiss is in the recording?

have you determined where the hiss is originating:
MIC
Mic Pre-amps
DACS

have you used the hiss removal in Samp to see if this helps?

i've used NT-1's over the last several years and mine are not noisy enough for concern.

-kp-

Hi all,

Hey thanks for the great feedback.

I will try troubleshooting and the monitor ideas.
I have not tried to remove it with samplitude either.
Thanks everybody for the help.

Back