How do I record soundfonts?

deemic

I'm using my PC for recording and multi tracking guitar tracks, but would like to record the soundfonts that came with my Audigy2, to enhance and add ambiance to my recordings. I've been able to to play stuff from the soundfont bank using my PC keyboard (I know, I know.... pretty generic) It'll have to do until I can buy a real keyboard, but even now, I can't seem to configure the program and soundcard together properly to record what it's producing. Is this even possible? Any ideas for the newbie?

Thanks for taking the time to reply Jaymz, I really appreciate it and you are definitely extremely knowledgable about the application.
But I guess what I'm really wondering is, do I need to use either A: A midi keyboard or am I stuck with B: A piano roll editor such as the one found in Sonar? Or C: is it possible to execute and record soundfonts straight off of my PC keyboard?

Question 2.....

Now I'm sure their will be many opinions, but If I'm better off with a midi capable keyboard (Casio, Yamaha, Edirol) and don't want to shell out more than $150.00, what options should I look for to fascilitate easy direct to pc recording? I know I'm asking alot, but you seem to be able to explain things in as few sentences as possible and still get your point across.......

Thanks again

do I need to use either A: A midi keyboard or am I stuck with B: A piano roll editor such as the one found in Sonar? Or C: is it possible to execute and record soundfonts straight off of my PC keyboard?

Either one will do just fine :)

A: It's true, that using external MIDI controller (keyboards, drum pad, etc) to trigger soundfonts within Cakewalk is alot much easier & gives you much more "feeling" to the song :) Using dedicated external keyboard contoller, you can also record the velocity (touch sensitive), sustain/hold pedal, aftertouch, pitch wheel, modullation wheel, etc while you play the keyboard. So, this way gives you more realistic aspect to the song you recorded faster.

B: Piano roll also can be used. In fact, most of MIDI minded musician took the advantage of Piano Roll view to edit their recorded MIDI data sometimes. It's just more difficult (and longer) to sequence this way. Unless you have plenty of time sequencing, OR doing loop based music (techno, hip hop, etc...) which doesn't require alot of "feel" in some tracks, this way is affordable for you.

C: I don't remember if Cakewalk's newer product include this add on application such "PC keyboard MIDi controller driver". I found it with older version of Cakewalk (at leat version 6 which I had). Using this application, you can record MIDI through your PC keyboard. However, you cannot use Creative's "AudioHQ Keyboard" to record MIDI using PC keyboard to Cakewalk.

Okay, so I'm stuck with Piano Roll view now, then how can I record the soundfonts to audio, Jaymz ?

Step by step :) First step is record them as MIDI track. Soundfonts is MIDI triggered sound, it's not (yet) audio. In Cakewalk, do the procedure I explained in the thread (first link above), load the soundfont to Cakewalk. Sequence them as you like. After you have done with the MIDI sequenced, then it's the time to record it as audio. Follow these steps...

ps. I'm using SONAR 2.2XL, and SB Live! DE 5.1, but it can't be much different in Guitar Track 2 & Audigy2. Take it with salt & grain...

First, prepare blank audio track, and arm it for recording. Select the input from your SB/Audigy.

Attachments

• select input.jpg
    select input.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 148
Now, open Windows Mixer (...that's what we called it :) ) by double clicking on small speaker icon on taskbar, beside clock...

click Options --> Properties --> Recording.

Select MIDI as the source. Set the level 75~95% to the top.

Attachments

• record control.jpg
    record control.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 149
Back to Cakewalk...

You can record all MIDI tracks using soundfonts into audio at once into one Audio track, however, this way is not recomended. It's always recomended to record them one by one. Each into it's own audio track. eg. MIDI kick drums to Kick drum audio track, Snare to snare, etc... so you'll have total control for each instrument recorded into audio track durring mixing session. In case one is too loud, just decrease the volume of the track in the mix, leave other tracks unchanged. Here's the next step...

Mute ALL MIDI tracks which using soundfont, EXCEPT the one you want to record...

Attachments

• mute all.jpg
    mute all.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 141
Doing those steps means you tell Cakewalk to record from the soundcards input source (which we have assigned to internal MIDI synth / soundfonts). Now in Cakewalk, hit record... :)

If you do it propherly, then you will have audio track out of particular MIDI / soundfont track. Do not expect it to be right at first trial :) You need to take some adjustment on recording level, panning, etc. After several time of trial, you are ready to go...

Repeat the step (mute MIDI tracks, and record next MIDI track to audio) til you transfer all MIDI tracks into audio tracks. Mix 'em, export to stereo audio wav file, and burn to CD...

Hope it helps
;)
Jaymz

...please consider Pre-ordering Homerecording.Comp CD's Vol 2 :)

James Argo said:
Back to Cakewalk...
It's always recomended to record them one by one. Each into it's own audio track. eg. MIDI kick drums to Kick drum audio track, Snare to snare, etc... so you'll have total control for each instrument recorded into audio track durring mixing session
To split the drums into different tracks in Cakewalk/Sonar, use the standard 'Split note to tracks' CAL program that comes with Cakewalk.
I usually follow this method to lay down seperate drumtracks for each piece of the drumset.
If you have a good drumfont on the SBLive/Audigy you can create killer drumtracks by tweaking each part this way.
Just my 2cents worth...

Jaymz..... you've been a great help. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I like this forum, hope to see ya around.

Back